800 bucks to spend

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
AngelusTheMx3Man

800 bucks to spend

Post by AngelusTheMx3Man »

I've got 800 bucks to spend all for my MX-3, now, i'm not really looking for a lot of little performance mods, rather than one big mod, tell me what you guys think i should do, 850 bucks is pushing it, 900 bucks, better be good. Not looking for cosmetics, just for performance.

Currently have a Mazda Mx-3 GS V6 1.8L (I think its k8)with a straight pipe to performance muffler, and cold air intake.
papa roached

Re: 800 bucks to spend

Post by papa roached »

only one thing to say in this case, KL-ZE
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
AngelusTheMx3Man

Post by AngelusTheMx3Man »

Dammit, i knew this would be the quickest response, but no, NO KL-ZE for me, any other ideas?
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

KLDE then.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

if you dont like the answer, dont ask the queston and if KL-ZE aint your thing, KL-DE
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

sorry bud but if you don't want to hear the work klze..you going to have to spend thousands of dollars to make your car as fast as a ze without an engine swap...
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

for that much $$ id say klze, but you DONT want it so.. ill say headers (good ones $600) or actually i know what you can buy and nothing else...big brake kit its around $1k. and its performance, theres your answer
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

How about the simple stuff folks... Exhaust, Intake, Upper strut tower bars and that will only take about $500USD at most. Then you can look at a performance clutch

and for those of you who say $1000 for a KLZE... look at the posts about all the other parts needed plus labour cost..it is a lot more. Plus you pretty much need to have your exhaust replaced at the same time.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

well you can get a decent KL-DE for cheap and you dont need to get the exhaust done right away, its just restrictive so there is more power to get, but in my personal opinion its a waste to build the K8 unless your going turbo and even then a KL-DE is a better starting point

<small>[ August 05, 2004, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: papa roached ]</small>

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I woul;d spend that money into cosmetics :D or a good set or rims. Some GTS clear headlight cover replacement. hmm for mods...nothing beats a klze o.0 how about a build your own turbo project?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

um..he said he has 800-900 bux to spend, not 2 grand. KLZE is definitely out of the question.

KL-DE however, is a much cheaper engine, and will give you a good bang for your buck. You should be able to properly do the entire swap for about 800 if you spend 400 or less on the actual engine. You'll want to invest in some new gaskets, and clutch when you do the swap either way.

You probably *could* do a KLZE swap for 800, assuming you can get one for that price shipped (not likely), but if you just have the motor, you'll have to reuse all the parts on your car, which will be extremely half-as$ed.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
kev259

Post by kev259 »

Yeah, I mean unless he's gonna put it in him self the KLZE is gonna be much more than 800-900$
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

"now, i'm not really looking for a lot of little performance mods, rather one big mod,"

"How about the simple stuff folks... Exhaust, Intake, Upper strut tower bars and that will only take about $500USD at most."

Uh, huh. You're a woman, aren't you? Only women can't make up thier minds like this.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Yeah, I've spent thousands on my ZE project so far, and I still have my racing tranny (beefed up stock), flywheel, clutch, and some other smaller things to pay for. But if you're gonna do it...
Yeah, it's getting done right, and man, is it gonna be sweeeeet!

But in your case, a swap is still a must. Seriously, for you to get an extra ~35 hp or so in a K8 would break you. Drop in a DE, bro, and do it right. Just worry aboout the h/i/e later. You won't regret it.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
"now, i'm not really looking for a lot of little performance mods, rather one big mod,"

"How about the simple stuff folks... Exhaust, Intake, Upper strut tower bars and that will only take about $500USD at most."

Uh, huh. You're a woman, aren't you? Only women can't make up thier minds like this.
Pardon lakersfan? Personally I find that insulting. 1) I'm not a woman, and 2) a lot of women are on this board who drive MX3s as well.

The reason I suggested those mods was because the intake and exhaust have appreciable affects on performance, plus if he eventually goes to an ZE or DE he can keep them and it still provides the performance increase. As for the tower bars, unless he wants to just go in a strait line, they help a LOT when cornering, so it improves the handling.

It isn't all about horsepower y'know.

And for all those saying you could do a swap for under $800... you could get an engine for under that, but unless he installs it himself it would be a LOT more for labour.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”