Pulled a couple of codes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Bluebird2

Pulled a couple of codes

Post by Bluebird2 »

After a while of intermittent poor running (mechanic said there was nothing wrong, ahem!) my v6 has decided to run poorly permanently.

I've checked the diagnostic and have pulled 2 codes - 12: Throttle position sensor - is this purely the sensor playing up? - I had to have a new throttle body on about 12 months ago.

and 15: Front Oxygen Sensor

Is it likley that both sensors are fault or that one is faulty causing the other to give an incorrect reading?

Which should I change first?
lakersfan1

Re: Pulled a couple of codes

Post by lakersfan1 »

Fix the TPS first. Look on Probetalk.com for the TPS adjustement in the V6 FAQ. It shows the way to check to see if your TPS is still within working parameters.

For the O2 sensor, it would show if the rear sensor was broken. Just replace the one that's broken.
Bluebird2

Post by Bluebird2 »

OK. Will do...

endocyc

Post by endocyc »

You may want to consider clearing the code history. Then running the engine and look for new codes. since once a problem is detected the memory stores the code untill cleared, you may find your self stressing over a problem that is non existant.
Bluebird2

Post by Bluebird2 »

Something really strange has happened - not sure what.
I pulled off the TPS to check the resistance - the sensor is definitely faulty.

I put the sensor back on and then reset the ECU.

Upon trying to re start the engine, all I got were clicks from the starter motor and the alarm going off (foxguard). Everything is plugged back correctly.

I tried resetting the ECU again - no joy.

I've now let the car sit for a while and the battery has run down to 5 volts - not enough to do anything with (hoping that it would allow any backup charge in the alarm to dissipate - seemed to work as the keyfob does absolutely nothing now).

So, today I tried to recharge the battery. As soon as I switch the charger on, the alarm goes off.

Still can't get the car to start.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Puzzled by this one!
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

you need a new battery.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by jpwmx3:
you need a new battery.
I'd be surprised if that was correct. What makes you think that?

The alarm is probably inhibiting the starter or the ignition. It was probably set when you reset the ECU. You need to find out how to reset your alarm. Does it have a keypad to input a code number?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Bluebird2

Post by Bluebird2 »

Unfortunately not. It was on the car when I bought it 5 years ago. All I ever had were a couple of key fobs :crying:
I'll have to try and contact the previous owner then and see if there's any joy there.
Bluebird2

Post by Bluebird2 »

Smeg....
Previous owner has nothing.

NE1 know anything about Foxguards?
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

try the alarm company website - I have an 10 year old Clifford alarm & the manual was still online

good luck
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by IanL:
Originally posted by jpwmx3:
you need a new battery.
I'd be surprised if that was correct. What makes you think that?

The alarm is probably inhibiting the starter or the ignition. It was probably set when you reset the ECU. You need to find out how to reset your alarm. Does it have a keypad to input a code number?
The 5 volts at the battery is a good indication. While I might agree with you normally since I know you Brits have crazy *** alarm systems compared to us that are really complex and restrictive ......... but if he turned the key and the starter just clicked, that means the starter was getting some kind of power. Mine did the clicking, but not turning over thing when my battery died.

Now if he just THINKS it was his starter clicking, but it was really his disty or something, then I'd go back to the alarm thing.

But even still, if his battery went down to 5 volts at any time, his battery's probably fubar anyways.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

bear in mind some alarm systems have an ingnition lock so if the alarm is on or activated the ingnition will click but wont turn over.

battery is still a possibility of course.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by lakersfan1:
The 5 volts at the battery is a good indication. While I might agree with you normally since I know you Brits have crazy *** alarm systems compared to us that are really complex and restrictive ......... but if he turned the key and the starter just clicked, that means the starter was getting some kind of power. Mine did the clicking, but not turning over thing when my battery died.
The 5V at the battery was what he did to try to reset his alarm after the clicking with the starter, so I assume the battery was normal before he ran it down.

Maybe the alarm has a heavy duty relay which interrupts the current to the motor, but not to the solenoid. Then it would click, but the motor would not turn. I know a lot of systems just interrupt the power to the solenoid, but that's easier for a thief to hot-wire.

Of course, there could be two problems, an alarm which needs resetting, and a low battery.
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

[quote]Originally posted by Bluebird2:
Unfortunately not. It was on the car when I bought it 5 years ago. All I ever had were a couple of key fobs :) ). It just needs a press to the fob button to reset it, but I assume you tried that.
Bluebird2

Post by Bluebird2 »

Yes - the battery was fine b4. I've just let the car stand for a couple of weeks and it's run down - so the alarm constantly drians the battery I 'm presuming. The battery itself should be fine once recharged.
I've sent an email to Foxguard to see if I can get nay joy - nothing on the website and it's all in Swedish (Flash so can't really translate it either) - I'll see what they say about things.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”