EGR System

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

EGR System

Post by Ricksmx3 »

How do i fix my egr system cause the code came up when i got my codes from my cel and i need to know what could be causing it? Any info would help thanks
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
pelado

Re: EGR System

Post by pelado »

There's more than one EGR code, which one is it?
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

It was code 16 that came up.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

i had the same code. it won't effect your performance at all, it's just annoying to see the cel all the time. i couldn't fix mine cuz my exhaust manifold doesn't have a port to hook up to the back of the egr, but if yours does, just check the back part of the engine for the egr (it will be just behind the tranny, near the bottom of the engine, about 4 inches from the firewall) and make sure there is a vac hose coming off the nipple of the egr and that the wire clip that is connected. then disconnect the battery for 30 seconds, reconnect the battery, start the car. let it run for a few minutes, shut it off to aux and pull your codes again (jumper in TEN and GRD). if that should work. i hope.
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

here, i don't know how much engine knowledge you have, i didn't have much till i came here but i did find this link in the 'egr' titled post from a while back it helped me. http://spikeshappyworld.com/car%20stuff/egr.mpg
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Code 03, and 42 also came up but my exhaust is sounding different then before and my car idols rough so i figured that it was the egr system that set off those codes to. Any idea's on how to fox those codes to? And thanks for the help with the egr.And that link helped out alot thanks.

<small>[ August 02, 2004, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Ricksmx3 ]</small>
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

un/fortunately i never had those codes, though i did throw 6 of em at one point...but none were those 2. you have any idea what those codes represent?
pelado

Post by pelado »

I used a 1994 626/MX-6 manual for this, hope they're the same.

03 - Crankshaft position sensor #1, the one in the distributor. Bad sensor or wiring prob.

16 - EGR Function Sensor, ECM can't tell if EGR is moving when told to. Make sure EGR can actually move (isn't stuck). Check for wiring problems.

42 - No code like this in my book. Sorry.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Code 03 is 03 'G' camshaft position sensor and code 42 is VRIS #2 solenoid. And i cant figure out how to fix them. And would either of these make my car lose power and idol rough?

<small>[ August 04, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Ricksmx3 ]</small>
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Camshaft sensor signal affects timing, so yes, it could make your idle rough.

VRIS 2 failure will be particularly noticable above 4,700 rpm., although it does also open between 1,900 and 2,600. You should see the 4,700 opening under no load (i.e. rev the engine with the hood up), but the 1,900 doesn't work unless the engine is under load. The actuator is on the back of the IM, the one nearest the TB.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Ok thanks for the info but the next question is how do you fix them?
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Ricksmx3:
Ok thanks for the info but the next question is how do you fix them?
Canshaft sensor: First check the wiring and connectors, then change the distributor; if that doesn't work it's the ECU.

VRIS 2: First check wiring and connectors, then change the solenoid valve.

Just one thing. I've checked '91, '93 and '95 Mazda Workshop manuals and they all give 46 for VRIS2; 42 is not listed.
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Well i have a 92. Thats probly why it dont show it. And thanks for all the info it will help out alot. And where will i find the VRIS 2 solenoid at?
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

The VRIS actuators are behind the IM. Just follow the vacuum lines from them to the solenoids.
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Ok thanks for the info i will keep you posted on my progress.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”