MX-3 V6 distributor same as MX-6?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Classy Chick

MX-3 V6 distributor same as MX-6?

Post by Classy Chick »

Can anyone help with this question?
My MX-3 stopped running yesterday and the symptoms are identical to a known problem with the MX-6 distributor of the same year ( 1993).
Symptoms :
Engine cuts-out with tachometer dropping to zero. Attempting to restart the car immediately is futile, with no spark. After a wait of 5 seconds to 20 minutes the car can be restarted. However, once the failure has occurred it will repeat unpredictably & increasingly repeatedly. No ECU codes are set and the prime indicator of the condition is no spark is generated when an ignition lead is placed on the spark plug cover with a spark plug in it.

The cause being failed ignitor module in the distributor.

If it is this problem it is going to cost me about a 1/4 of the price as it is going to be to get the distributor replaced but if it is not the same model distibutor then I could be wasting my money altogether.

Does anyone know anymore about this issue and whether or not I should just bite the bullet and get the whole thing replaced?

Thanks in advance.
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: MX-3 V6 distributor same as MX-6?

Post by IanL »

The MX-3 K8 distributor changed from KLY1-18-200 to K834-18-200A in November 1993.

The MX-6 KL distributor changed from KLY1-18-200 to KF34-18-200A in May 1994.

I think the change did involve a new design igniter, which overcame the weakness in the early model. As the part no's pre-change were the same, it's likely you have been afflicted with the same problem as with the MX-6 (unless your MX-3 is November or December - presumably out of the factory, which would suggest it would have been sold in '94)

There was also a wiring change at the 3 pin plug.

It sounds like you know where to get the igniter replaced, which is good news, as Mazda don't supply them as spares. Where do you go for that?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Re: MX-3 V6 distributor same as MX-6?

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Use a '93 disty. I had this same problem very recently. A '93 disty out of a PGT, MX6, or 626 will work.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”