KLZE jumpy idle

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mdavis

KLZE jumpy idle

Post by mdavis »

I know KLZE idle issues have been discussed many times, but I can't find any other posts quite like this... It's only happened 2-3 times, but what happens is my idle just "bounces" between 2-2.5k quickly, like one 2k-2.5k-back-to-2k jump takes 1-2 seconds. I can turn the motor off and re-start it, and it will be ok for 10 or so seconds, and then it just starts doing it again. Also, when I accelerate from 1st (when the problem is occurring), the car vibrates really bad like I have a driveline problem... Any ideas? BTW, my idle is normally ok (~700) Thanks

<small>[ June 22, 2004, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: mdavis ]</small>
GS-R SE
Fixin's

Re: KLZE jumpy idle

Post by Guest »

Which ECU do you have?
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

KL36 - I'm thinking maybe this is 2 separate issues - 1. Same idle problem and 2. A broken tranny mount (it's dark) I gave a friend a ride, and it did it again, and he said his old MX-6 did the same thing when he broke a tranny mount with the same clutch (Clutchmasters Stage 2)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

My bad - regarding the jumpy idle - the car will steadily rev to 1.5k, then just cut out to 1k again, and then just rev back to 1.5K, one rotation takes a little over a second (1K-1.5K-1K) It did it again today, I was coasting and urned my motor off, and back on, and the problem stopped for about 5 seconds, then did it 2-3x more, then just stopped altogether (note: i was just coasting down a hill with the clutch in the whole time)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Vacuum leak? Bad IAC?
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Ok, what is the IAC?? lol
GS-R SE
Fixin's
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by mdavis:
Ok, what is the IAC?? lol
Idle Air Control. It's the black cylinder with a wire harness on the bottom of your throttle body. As the name implys, it controls the idle.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

So is this a common problem? Can I swap the k8 IAC over?

<small>[ June 24, 2004, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: mdavis ]</small>
GS-R SE
Fixin's
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by mdavis:
So is this a common problem? Can I swap the k8 IAC over?
Not extremely common. More often than not, if it is the IAC screwing things up, it's usually just dirty, which you can take off and clean with carbuerator cleaner. You COULD use the K8 if you've got a KLZE throttle body with the IAC on the same side as on your K8 throttle body. You'd have to 'T' off a vacuum line on your KLZE manifold to get vacuum to it, though, since all DE IAC's require vacuum lines, whereas the ZE throttle bodys tap thier own vacuum internally.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Alright, well I have some carb cleaner, so I think I'll go do that now.. The problem isn't consistent, and I'll have to wait to see if it's fixed. Thanks for the help!
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Hmmm... that was fun. I took the car out to the store, and the throttle was being really weird.. It was like I could only go from 0 throtttle to like 20%, no in-between, it it was really jumpy.... very hard to move from a stop, like it was going to stall... So i'd be cruising, and throttle would cut to 0, i'd give it a tiny pit of gas, and it'd jump rght up to like 20% instantly... Anyways, i pulled over, poped the hood, and adjusted the AIC on it's bracket, rotating it.. Push the throttle cable in a bit, and everythin was ok. Continued on my way and haven't had a problem since.. Weird. lol
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Check all you vacuum lines, if they are old you will find that they are cracked, simply slice of the cracked portion and hopefully you have enough slack left to re-attach the lines. I had the EXACT same problem. Lakersfan knows what hes talkin about cause he helped me out, just look at all the hoses.
Red 1992 Mx-3 GS, all stock.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”