Synthetic oil in a rebuild KL

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cris_barros

Synthetic oil in a rebuild KL

Post by cris_barros »

Okay guys..

I decided to use the Esso Ultron (synthetic oil)5W-40, or maybe the Castrol SLX 0W-30, in my rebuilded and blueprinted KL engine...seems like the HLA's doesn't like thick oils :D

But I still have a question....I saw in Probetalk, and even around here, that I should use a mineral oil when I rebuild an engine for at least 10.000Km before change it to a full synthetic oil.... Is this right? Or can I start to use a synthetic right now?

thanks again folks!! :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:
Cris

TsiMiata

Re: Synthetic oil in a rebuild KL

Post by TsiMiata »

I'd say its your call. Tons of new cars come with synthetic from the factory now. Could be a good thing, could be bad.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If the bebuild included honing the cylinders and getting oversized rings, I'd run through 2,000 - 3,000 miles on regular oil just to be safe, then go from there with the synthetic.
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

MOst new/rebuilt engines create more heat during the break in period, correct?

Well, since sythetic oil is much more resilant to heat and soot then regular oil, I don't see where the questioning comes from. Synth is a better oil for your enigne, and always will be superior than it's counter part (slight excpetion for high mileage engine that used regular oil most of it's life).
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Use a 20W50 mineral oil for about the first 3000 miles. It will help to seat the rings. A 0 weight oil is not a good choice in my opinion. Especially when trying to break in a newly rebuilt motor. It's too unstable for daily driving.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

I would recommend using dino oil in first until the rings break in. It will take longer with the synthetic oil. When I build my KL last year I ran 10w-30 pennzoil for the first 500 miles and changed it then ran it for 3k then switched to Mobil 1.

Also, ring seat time is all dependant on which type of material you went with. (ie. Cast Iron, Chromoly)
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by MX3-Freak:
MOst new/rebuilt engines create more heat during the break in period, correct?

Well, since sythetic oil is much more resilant to heat and soot then regular oil, I don't see where the questioning comes from. Synth is a better oil for your enigne, and always will be superior than it's counter part (slight excpetion for high mileage engine that used regular oil most of it's life).
While I chalk up the whole dino oil break-in thing as urban legend, I figure better safe than sorry. A couple thousand on dino oil won't make a significant difference if the next 100K miles are on a good synthetic.
cris_barros

Post by cris_barros »

Thanks a lot for all the info, guys!!

I'll go with dino oil...like Lakersfan1 said...".. I figure better safe than sorry..". ;)
Cris

ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

Originally posted by mazdubber:
Use a 20W50 mineral oil for about the first 3000 miles. It will help to seat the rings. A 0 weight oil is not a good choice in my opinion. Especially when trying to break in a newly rebuilt motor. It's too unstable for daily driving.
NEVER use a heavier oil than that recommended in the owners manual. In the summertime, you MIGHT get away with a HDEO (diesel) 15W40 weight for cleaning out an engine, but I would stick to xW30 regardless of whether it's a 0,5, or 10. In a fresh engine, I would run 10W30 for a few thousand miles before switching to the 0W30. The zero is just for warmup purposes anyhow.......to save gas. Look for the Castrol Syntec 0W30 that says "Made in Germany" on the back. It's about the best $4 a quart oil around. The made in USA stuff is junk and a totally Group III oil.

See bobistheoilguy.com for details
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"
cris_barros

Post by cris_barros »

Wow..thanks a lot for the help!!

Really like it! :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:
Cris

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”