KLZE performance problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Talon_66

KLZE performance problem

Post by Talon_66 »

Hey. Here is the deal, after baffling multiple mechanics, my car still has ROUGH cold start ups, and rough/high idle.

When I start the car, it feels like Im sitting in an old muscle car, the engine chugging along, and the exhaust sounds similar, Idle sits around 1200rpm. I give the car any gas, and it actually drops the rpms, and it just runs rougher. After 5 minutes the engine will idle at 1100rpm, and will run a little rough. After a quick drive, or any driving the engine will idle at 1500, drop to 1000 then to 1500, then to 1000, and stay. I have pulled codes, the code I get is for the front O2 Sensor. I am running a curved neck intake manifold, a 'remapped' ECU, 1.8L MAF/VAF, KLZE throttle body.

Anyways, I am tired of going days at a time, with my car in the shop while the mechanics scratch there heads, and I have to borrow rides from friends.

The deal is, ANYONE that can suggest the solution, that actually works, and gets my car running properly. I will paypal them $50USD.

- Carlos
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Re: KLZE performance problem

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Its probably the ECU. Everyone says the remapped ECUs are crap. Sell it and cop a real ZE ECU from somebody. It'll most likely solve your problem.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Silver_Wraith

Post by Silver_Wraith »

Hey not sure if your suffering from the same problem as i was but sounds similar to what was happening to my GS engine. The Problem was the disty going bad. Wasn't bad altogether but it was on the way out the door. But don't just go out and buy one to see cuz its pretty damn pricey. See if you have a ways to test it first. I hope this might help ya for a bit.
Wha-hoooo!!!! its finally in pics to come soon. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/540890
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

engine mounts ?
vaccum ?
not firing on all cylinders ?
Distributor ?

those are the only things i can can make your engine go retarded like that.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Gabi

Post by Gabi »

Originally posted by Illa Killa:
Its probably the ECU. Everyone says the remapped ECUs are crap. Sell it and cop a real ZE ECU from somebody. It'll most likely solve your problem.
That ECU was in my car for a long time and I never had a problem with it. It seems like your idle speed sensor is gone or the wire from the idle speed sensor to the ecu is damaged. Do you have the "TB coolant bypass" mode? That could be it too.
See you in my rear wiew!!
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

"TB coolant bypass" mode? Wtf?! how do I get it outta this mode...? or tell if its in that mode. I have a spare TPS, so I can always swap that over
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Taras

Post by Taras »

What ECU are you running. Please be detailed. Does your car's exhaust smell "rich" and is sooty/black? Would you say that you run too rich? I think it IS your ECU.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Talon_66:
"TB coolant bypass" mode? Wtf?! how do I get it outta this mode...? or tell if its in that mode. I have a spare TPS, so I can always swap that over
It's not a mode; he probably meant a modification. It's removing the coolant supply & return to the throttle body. It's supposed to make the throttle body cooler, but it promotes icing in cool wet weather. Bad idea!

<small>[ May 07, 2004, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Change your distributor and change both O2 sensors..problem solved.

Worked for me, now my ZE runs like a top
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

I had the EL Prototypes (cork sport) re-coded ECU, it ran like crap when cold, black smoke rich, miss-fireing on acceleration ect... untill it got warm.

poped in a KL-36 ECU runs like a champ now.

you may haev a vaccume leak?

also May have a bad disty.

1 quick test is to swap in a KL-03 ECU and KL-02 VAF from a probe or MX-6 and see if it helps, then you know its the ecu.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Curt, I got everything u described! Cold start, mis-fire, black sooty exhaust. I might switch back to my original ECU to see if it makes any difference. No vacuum leaks though.
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”