axle drone

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
spicy

axle drone

Post by spicy »

Hey...just had my axle put in by my boyfriend and now its making a droning sound. i think its louder on the inside. I've had problems with things rubbing before when I had new rotors put in, and it was the...gutter plate is it called? whatever that thing peice of crap behind the rotor is called, was rubbing and making this horrid noise. But this is different. It sounds more internal. Like it's coming from udnerneath my glove box almost. It's so hard to describe without me recording myself making the sound, lol.<p>Lets just say its a drone. Anyone else have this problem? wtf is it? *any* ideas are helpful.
Marlon

Re: axle drone

Post by Marlon »

wheel bearing maybe
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I have the same sound on mine and I just bought it. I thought it was normal for this car, but I did notice from the receipts that came with the car that the axle was just replaced professionally within the last year. Coincidence????
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

what side axle did you replace? is the sound coming from the side replaced. it could be that you were given the wrong axle when you bought it and its too long. if it sounds like tire vibration it could be a bearing. its hard to tell without knowing the sound
spicy

Post by spicy »

i know guys, its so hard of a sound to explain too. we replaced the passanger side, and thats where it is coming from as well. ive had the other side done too, but that was also done by an actual mechanic. my boyfriend put this one in. and i love him, but he's no mechanic. and the sound started immediately after the new one was put in as well.<p>
do you think its the wrong part [edit: meaning too long]? we had it ordered though through strauss auto or soemthing of that nature. im sure he knows my car by now and gave all the right information. ugh. i need a recorder :) <p>the sound is kind of like...<p>errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr<p>and you can only really hear once i get up to say..15-20? i dont notice it really getting louder as i go faster. i hope its not dangerous and/or destroying my new part :( <p>edit again: p.s. the sound is kind of coming from where your feet would rest on the passanger side. i dont think its a tire vibration because i would feel it wouldnt i? and it does seem to be driving pretty normal. i want to say a little sluggish but thats probably just because of one of the many other things wrong with it. i have checked the temperature of both sides after a long ride once (meaning just touched the hubcaps) and both sides seemed to be the same.<p>[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: spicy ]</p>
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

another possible solution is the axle wasn't put in properly meaning that it may have looked like it was in but it isnt fully on and the axle has a slight wobble. if you look at #8 on the picture that is the joint shaft which your driveshaft on the passenger side connects to. there is a little c-clip on there that the driveshaft (#9) must clip into. It may not quite be on there or if he pulled on the driveshaft and popped the CV joints apart you need to pop them back together.
Image<p>[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: johnnyb ]</p>
spicy

Post by spicy »

unfortunately i dont know much about cars so that doesnt mean a whole lot to me :) <p>he said he looked at it and he doesnt see anything wrong. but you know what, maybe ill just take off my own damn tire and check it out. lets say your theory is whats actually going on..is this doing any damage to anything?

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”