trailer hitch

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
sep42

trailer hitch

Post by sep42 »

Anybody here has a trailer hitch installed in their MX3? How do you go about doing that?
I saw an old ad on this forum that was selling one that attaches to the towing hooks(?)<p>Any pictures, model numbers, anything would help.<p>Thanks! :)
http://www.nerdinthebox.com <- cheap domains, web hosting and other network services.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: trailer hitch

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

There's a red one driving aroud with one, its neat cause it has a curve that goes around the stock dual-exaust, its very neat
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
sapper

Post by sapper »

Why would you even want to put a trailor hitch on an MX3. I live in Vancouver as well, and I dont think the car would even move with something being towed behind it (Especialy in Vancouver with all our mountains and hills!!). Not to put down the MX3, but it just aint got the power to and scotty ant around to give it! It just wasnt designed to pull anything.
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

exactly!!!<p>the only reason you would put a hitch on an mx3 is to tow a light box in a small trailer or maybe a motorcycle. These cars just dont have the power imo. Its like putting a hitch on a fiero.
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

well lets see jet ski's, bikes, very small trailers, ATV, canoes. Want me to go on all these things weigh less then 2-3 passangers. They do sell them for the mx3 just cant remember where.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
sep42

Post by sep42 »

Guys, I just want to tow a small aluminum boat or a canoe on a trailer. This is very light, especially since I'll only have just 1 more passenger. I think it'll be just fine for that!
I don't plan on doing 1/4 mile races when it's hooked up. :)
http://www.nerdinthebox.com <- cheap domains, web hosting and other network services.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I suuure would love a hitch to tow a very small trailer...Slicks and a jack maybe??
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

This has been brought up in a previous post, and I think it ended when someone brought up the owner's manual where it says DO NOT TOW.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
sep42

Post by sep42 »

Does that mean that there's no such hitch that can be affixed to an mx3?
I have the same owner's manual, and I've read it too.
I really didn't wan't a lecture.
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

I have a friend around here and he has a stock 4 cylinder with a hitch on it. He just pulls small stuff ,like what was said before.
SilverSurfer

Post by SilverSurfer »

This company makes a hitch for our car;

http://www.hitch-web.com/

i'm looking at getting one to tow my snowmobile with.

<small>[ January 01, 2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: SilverSurfer ]</small>
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

if you're just going to pull around small things like a snowmobile or jetski thats fine a class 1 hitch will do a good job, just dont try towing that scarab sitting in your driveway. Theres tons of power to pull things around with. we have a sidekick here and it has like 90 hp and we pull one of those fold out camp trailer things with it all over the place.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

I had a towbar fitted to my Presso, it was custom made so it could go round my exhaust, it hooked up to my tow hooks plus some other places, it rattled against my exhaust whenever i cornered hard (all the time!), so i took it off, only used it to carry my bike, waste of money really :shrug:
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

http://www.hitch-web.com/proDescrip.asp?ProductCode=6400&OID=8

looks kool to me, I might get one for towing stuff for the drag strip.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

FYI - My MX3 only a little less torque than my 626 (probably pretty dang close on wheel power since the 626 is a slushbox). I towed about 2500 pounds worth of trailer and crap from Chicago to Vegas. Lots and lots and lots of mountains and hills over the 2000 miles. You tow some weight with a small car if you know what you're doing and take it easy. I now use the 626 and a trailer any time I need some sheets of wood or anything from Home Depot, or to haul furniture.

I'd definitely have no reservations about towing a set of jetskis or jetboat or something like that on a regular basis in my MX3.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”