Grinding sound in transmission; oil or synchro question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3man83

Grinding sound in transmission; oil or synchro question

Post by mx3man83 »

Ok when I did my swap(about 4k miles ago) i put some Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil in my tranny. I'm not sure of the weight, I just went to auto zone and they looked it up for me. Well, when shifting into 3rd gear from 2nd gear(at high RPM) there is a slight grinding noise. I'm thinking its either my synchro going out or my oil is becoming too thin. The reason I think it may be my oil is because when its cold it doesn't do it, but as soon as it warms up it will grind going into 3rd. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what oil did you use? I was thinking of getting a mobil 1 oil that was more thick, or using a different brand as well.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
lakersfan1

Re: Grinding sound in transmission; oil or synchro question

Post by lakersfan1 »

I threw in some Royal Purple 75W-90 and the grinding noises are pretty much gone. You can also try some ATF in cold weather per the instruction manual. Royal Purple and Redline both make maunual transmission fluids for cars that can run on ATF. You can try a half and half of that stuff and the good 75W-90 and see how it does.

I believe the instruction manual calls for 75W-90 or 80W-90 in warmer climates.
UoMDeacon

Post by UoMDeacon »

Speaking of which, I want to do a full flush of my transmission fluid, how many quarts of Redline should I buy to do this?
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

How do you like the royal purple lakerfan? I currently run RP. Since it has gotten cold it seems a little more notchy. Do u have the same problems? Thinking about going redline or amsoil.
65 shot > V8
pelado

Post by pelado »

Originally posted by UoMDeacon:
Speaking of which, I want to do a full flush of my transmission fluid, how many quarts of Redline should I buy to do this?
You can't really "flush" a manual trans, but if you want to wash out the stuff that's collected in the bottom just change the fluid.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
UoMDeacon

Post by UoMDeacon »

I'm going to have my mechanic do it for me, however I'd like to bring the tranny fluid myself. How many bottles of the stuff should I bring?
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I'm going to have my mechanic do it for me, however I'd like to bring the tranny fluid myself. How many bottles of the stuff should I bring?
If you want to flush it out a little, bring a 4th quart of some cheap stuff that he can shoot in to the case with the drain plug still out.

Still don't know why you'd pay someone to do it, though. It's one of the easiest things you can DIY on your car. :shrug: You might as well pay people to pump your gas. :shrug:

And I'm loving the Royal Purple. In the cold, of course it's a tad notchier until it warms up, but I still don't have synchro problems .... although I usually drive like a granny until the temp gauge goes above the "C" mark.

<small>[ December 29, 2003, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: lakersfan1 ]</small>
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I'm assuming royal purple or redline can't be purchased at auto zone, right? I'll probaly have to check out the local ricer shop....I'm going to switch to one of those oils, but it's just kind of weird since Mobil 1 is suppose to be soooo great. I even bought the synthetic stuff.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Royal Purple's website has a dealer locator. I have a few in Vegas, I end up going to the Corvette specialty shop.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Hi

As far as I know u cannot use mobil one in mx-3 tranny since it has sulphur and will damage the syncros.
Redlone MT-90 made a huge difference for me. The mazda dealers also recommedn it.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
UoMDeacon

Post by UoMDeacon »

You underestimate my total inability to work with a car ;) Actually I just don't own any jacks and stuff, and since I'm at college right now, I don't even have a garage to work in, thus, I take it to my mechanic.
Originally posted by lakersfan1:
If you want to flush it out a little, bring a 4th quart of some cheap stuff that he can shoot in to the case with the drain plug still out.

Still don't know why you'd pay someone to do it, though. It's one of the easiest things you can DIY on your car. :shrug: You might as well pay people to pump your gas. :shrug:

And I'm loving the Royal Purple. In the cold, of course it's a tad notchier until it warms up, but I still don't have synchro problems .... although I usually drive like a granny until the temp gauge goes above the "C" mark.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Ayaz:
[QB]As far as I know u cannot use mobil one in mx-3 tranny since it has sulphur and will damage the syncros.
QB]
That's dead right. See this link . Scroll down to Notchy Manual (MTX) Gearboxes
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You underestimate my total inability to work with a car ;) Actually I just don't own any jacks and stuff, and since I'm at college right now, I don't even have a garage to work in, thus, I take it to my mechanic.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

That's a lame excuse. I did my own tranny fluid when I lived in Chicago and only had street parking. Pull drain plug and let drain. Replace plug. Open side plug and start pumping in until it starts running out. Put plug back in. It's not like an automatic tranny flush which you need to flush out 10 quarts from the torque converter......you're just draining 3 quarts from the pan, and putting it back in.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Holy *%&$!! I didn't know you couldn't use Mobil 1, thanks for that information!! I will be replacing it with something else this weekeend.
My Cardomain site

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”