Revving over 7K a bad thing?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
dkrangers

Revving over 7K a bad thing?

Post by dkrangers »

On accident I have reved over 7K and hit 8 at least twice now. I have let off the gas right away and pushed the clutch in immediatly but is that going to do a lot of damage? I never mean to do it. Once it was out of my control and the other time I was screwing around in the snow and the revs just sky rocketed on me. I also have a ZE.

Thanks
stang67fb

Re: Revving over 7K a bad thing?

Post by stang67fb »

i doubt it,i do it all the time and the motor still runs the same.just keep up with the maintainence of it.
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS
New Time 13.82 at 101.75 2.205 60ft (RIP beast klze engine)

Updated mods now... KFZE, SS Autochrome Headers and a Sweet a-- 3' Electric Cutout after it, KFZE LSD trans, Millenia manifold, KL36 ecu, Blown motor mounts, custom CAI, Custom ground wire kit, 9mm Plug wires, 2 1/4 exhaust, (Hei and MSD external coil mod), all accessories.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

yes it is bad, you can bend valves easy, and most likely your lifters get lots of damage and you can ever hear them pinging.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
stang67fb

Post by stang67fb »

the ticking lifters are normal even if you dont drive hard and i doubt you will bend valves...there pretty strong motors obviously.
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS

Updated mods now... KFZE, SS Autochrome Headers and a Sweet a-- 3' Electric Cutout after it, KFZE LSD trans, Millenia manifold, KL36 ecu, Blown motor mounts, custom CAI, Custom ground wire kit, 9mm Plug wires, 2 1/4 exhaust, (Hei and MSD external coil mod), all accessories.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

is there other ways for valves to bend besides hitting the piston? non interference engine is what we have
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well i know i took mine well past 8 grand. all it did was blew the timeing belt. thank goodness its a noninterface engine. i think around 7 grand is where the engine makes the best power. just be careful not to go too high with it.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
stang67fb

Post by stang67fb »

ok i take back what i said...i did some thinking and im a jackass,that being because when i had my old mustang i went through 3 engines all because of over revving. sure doing it on the ze or k8 whatever doesnt seem to do much but eventually it will break something in the engine...besides that shifting past 7k doesnt make the car any faster IMO.i actually gotta quit doing it myself cause the engine feels weak already,as i stated in the past,ever since after the first week it just doesnt pull like it used too.anyways Dont rev past 7k too often.
Sacramento Raceway, CA
92 Mx3 GS

Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

If you rev the motor with it in neutral..thats where you do damage. If you rev it when there is a load on the motor (like when its in gear) then it isn't really a bad thing to rev it high, as long as you aren't revving it for prolonged periods or revving it numerous times a day like that.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

In my view, there's no point in intentionally exceeding 6,500 rpm (max power point) with a KLZE. Change up to the next gear for higher torque = more acceleration.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Its called a redline for a reason :shrug:
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Why the hell are you guys reving so high anyway? I RARLEY pass 4,500rpm...
dkrangers

Post by dkrangers »

ever drive a ZE in the snow trying to have fun? Its easy for the revs to just take off on you at any second. Like a I said it was a accsident. When I race I **** at 6700-7000 though and I race about 2-4 times per week. What are you doing with your ZE?
dkrangers

Post by dkrangers »

accident*
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Quick Sliver:
Why the hell are you guys reving so high anyway? I RARLEY pass 4,500rpm...
Accidental. The engine's so quiet on the stock K8, that sometimes I have completely forgotten to shift. :shrug:
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

You will actually destroy some engines if you always keep the rev's low. My friend bought a 90 RX7 GXL and it's motor died b/c the previous owner never revved it past 3500. Those motors NEED to be revved if you want them to last.

This is the same for most engines, even the K8 or KL motors. You want to rev them high every now and then to prevent carbon build up from building up too much internally.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”