just threw power steering pulley

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
aggressivemx

just threw power steering pulley

Post by aggressivemx »

this sucks, just when i thought that my car was running good, i dropped the pulley. do you think that any damage could have been done to my engine?
Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drum
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: just threw power steering pulley

Post by Zoso124 »

No, but if the belt came off there would be nothing running the water pump, then you would be trouble.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

why did you take the pully off the car? How high was it when you dropped it?, did it fall off the table? or down the stairs? did it land in carpet or concreet?

I think the pully is plastic so it may have chipped or cracked if it lander on concreat, but if its metal you may have to check to see if its bent.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

Originally posted by curtklze:
why did you take the pully off the car? How high was it when you dropped it?, did it fall off the table? or down the stairs? did it land in carpet or concreet?

I think the pully is plastic so it may have chipped or cracked if it lander on concreat, but if its metal you may have to check to see if its bent.
Curt, you crack me up man :2thumbsup: :laugh:
you just made my day!

Anyway, my brother has the same problem on his mx3. Both of the tensioner pulleys are almost seized. Power Steering tensioner is so bad, that when I took it off it would barely spin and the bearing would make alot of noise. The other one (alternator/condenser) tensioner is not that bad.

I don't have the press, so I can't press the new bearing in.
What would you recommend? Get the junkyard pulley? Go to the dealer? I don't wanna pay a fortune for those...
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I had this problem when I first installed my ZE and had my car running.

My old power steering pump was fubarred or something. I loosened the ps pulley a bit, and didn't re-tighten it, cuasing the splines on the pump to become more and more worn down until the pulley was essentially just spinning on an axis, not doing crap to the pump itself. My steering didn't work, and the pulley and pump made lots of horrible noises.

Eventually, the belt shredded b/c of insufficient tighteness and I just said "screw this" and went and bought a new pump from the parts place.

Well....THAT pump didn't work at all either, and would just make horrible sounds and the power steering still failed to work.

I ended up breaking my tensioner bracket too, I didn't realize you were supposed to loosen the 17mm nut holding the actual pulley on before unscrewing the bolt, and the bolt broke off the tensioner bracket completely.

I just went to the junkyard, and lo-and-behold...a pre-pulled KL-DE from a 626 sitting right outside of the car on the ground. I quickly removed the tensioner bracket and PS pump and $20 later I was home free ;) . Not a problem since.

DON"T BUY A AFTERMARKET REPLACEMENT! They not only cost like $150, they are shoddy! Get a junkyard car one if you need to replace it.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”