KLZE running on only 3 cylinders

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3man83

KLZE running on only 3 cylinders

Post by mx3man83 »

I just pulled the wires on the even bank, everyone is sparking. Pulled the plugs out, not a single one spits out gas when cranked over. I've got a feeling that It's my vaccum tubes improperly installed, but we will see. I found the proper way on the online shop manual so im going to go fix it right now. Just thought I'd tell you all that my v6 is running off of only 3 cylinders right now. Yes, it still runs and runs kind of strong, just a horrible idle. I was getting kind of worried last night when an integra and an old cop car beat me :p
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Re: KLZE running on only 3 cylinders

Post by mx3man83 »

I just realized that it cant be a vaccum problem. Only the FPR is hooked up to a vaccum and that couldnt have failed since the rear(odd) bank is getting fuel. That means it has to be something electrical with the front 3 injectors. Agreed? Any ideas? I'm going to test them right now, so hopefully i can determine the problem, but if not I would appreciate some ideas. Thanks.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Man I feel like I'm talking to myself. Anyone out there? I've got a new problem now. I pulled the injector harness for the even bank and there was no difference at all in the idle. I did this quite a few times when i was trouble shooting. Well, one of the times I was doing this my engine just died. It will no longer start. I checked and I'm getting no spark whatsoever in any cylinder. I changed my distributer and my crank angle sensor, but nothin changed. I checked the fuses under the hood and the engine fuse under the dash. Also, I checked the relay under the hood. Everything is fine. I also tried both my k8 computer and my 2.5 computer. Nada. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate any help i can get. Thanks.

<small>[ November 15, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</small>
My Cardomain site
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

I dont completely understand your prob. Are you saying your car is only running on three cylinders?

Are you getting any cel codes?

If you say three cylinders all on the same side of engine are not firing, I would imagine it would only have to be spark or fuel prob.

I would start by checking that each cylinder has a spark first by pulling the plug wire and touching it to some metal, and cranking the engine. If a spark arcs from the wire to the metal on the car, then you have spark for that cylinder. And if I remember correctly you should do this without the engine getting any fuel.

If you are not getting spark maybe replace one of the spark plug wires and see if it sparks then.

So try checking for spark as it is listed in the shop manual first.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

check your firing order, maybe you got them mixed
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Well I had two problems, but one was solved so now its down to only one problem. The initial problem was the lack of fuel going through the injectors into the cylinders in the front(even) bank. Spark and compression were good, just no fuel to ignite. Well, when troubleshooting that, I lost spark to all cylinders. I changed out distributers and crank angle sensors, still no change. SO finally I changed out the distributer again (the 3rd one), and it fired right up. So for some reason i had two distributers fail at the same exact time. I dont think the klze likes distributers..but onto the initial problem again....As i explained before, the spark is just dandy now, its just im still not getting fuel through the injectors on the even bank. The rail is getting plenty of fuel, its just not allowing it to get through the injectors. This tells me there is something electrically wrong. For some reason the front 3 injectors arent being told by the computer to open up when needed. I tried both computers, the 2.5 and the 1.8 but they had the same results. My brother is taking the car to work with him and hooking it up to a diagnostic machine today so hopefully we can pinpoint the problem, but if not, do you all have any ideas? Thanks.
My Cardomain site
JdawgMx3er

Post by JdawgMx3er »

Read on here somewhere that the KLZE eats up distributors for some reason....
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

well its obvious that your problem is one of your fuel rails not being connected properly. Check the wiring connections to the front bank rail and also the connections at the ECU.

Have you tried swapping out fuel rails? Which fuel rails are you using? You are supposed to use the K8 rail & harness with KLZE injectors, at least thats what I did and the car runs fine, never had a problem.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Well I am using the klze rails with the klze injectors. All connections with the rail and computer are fitting nice and snug and all of the wires are secure into the harness. I am going to swap the rails out and see what happens. They look the exact same though thats why it bothers me. Im going to check for part numbers to confirm yes or not. I'll keep you posted.
My Cardomain site
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

My KLZE came with these strange rails that didn't have a return line/pipe coming off of them. My K8 rails did so I just swapped the injectors off the rail & used the stock harness from the K8.

Might be the problem...the pins might be different or something.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”