KL-ZE Emissions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mdavis

KL-ZE Emissions

Post by mdavis »

Hey. I live in California and I think I have everything covered for emissions tests here.. I have not put my ZE in yet but were is what I understand I need to do to pass smog here:

Use K8 exhaust manifolds (for egr)
Use K8 ECU
Use ZE ("KL02") air sensor

Is that all and does anyone know if I can in fact pass smog like this? Thanks.

-Morgan
GS-R SE
Fixin's
SimonPK

Re: KL-ZE Emissions

Post by SimonPK »

sounds ok - I know the ZE vaf is coded JE50 not KL02 so just look out for that
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Are you planning on using the K8 heads and intake manifold? Exhaust gas is routed from the EGR through the Head into the intake manifold where it comes exits right behind the TB.

There no line casted in the ZE head or Intake manny to route it the same way, The Millenia Intake has a line casted in the back though. Ask Lazzyie how he ran his.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

the ZE heads DO have the passages for the egr, but there is a plug missing from the rear head, you just have to transfer over the plug (bolt) from the K8 head to the ZE head. also make sure you use the K8 intake manifold and the K8 exhaust manifolds with the egr , and the K8 intake manifold gaskets, (when you swap the manifolds and look at the gaskets you will know why).

because you need to use the EGR the best combo is the K8 ECU, KL-ZE engine and the KL-DE 2.5 vaf(KL-02) After you pass emissions I would swap in a ZE (KL-31) ECU and the JE50 (K8) VAF.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

ahh didn't know that, good info!
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Hmmm.... Ok, so I know my ZE is a "curved neck" but you are saying that even if I use the K8 exhaust manifolds (for the EGR) that there is a port missing on the new (curved) ZE intake manifold, so I would have to still use the old K8 intake manifold?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

on the ZE head you will note a hole where the exhaust gas would be allowed to re-enter the IM....if you have a K8 IM handy turn it over and you'll see the small hole (about the diameter of a pencil) beside the #5 intake runner. Your ZE IM is not equiped with this exhaust gas passage.
I'll be simply drilling a hole through the flange where the hole should be and routing a narrow pipe to just after the TB where I'll tap another hole. This will allow use of the K8's EGR. This is not an original idea or anything.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

Originally posted by mdavis:
Hmmm.... Ok, so I know my ZE is a "curved neck" but you are saying that even if I use the K8 exhaust manifolds (for the EGR) that there is a port missing on the new (curved) ZE intake manifold, so I would have to still use the old K8 intake manifold?
yup, just make sure to swap over the ZE injectors and fuel rail to the K8 intake manifold.

or you could drill the ZE manifold and add a egr pipe like darren stated.

Like I said just do it to pass the E-test then swap the ZE intake, computer and JE50 VAF back after the test, or add the pipe, and run a 1.8 ecu and KL-DE VAF for the test and the swwitch to the ZE ecu and JE50 VAF.
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.

mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Ah, ok. Well I think drilling my own sounds easy enough. Thanks, guys.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

just be carefull where you drill.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Would it be possible to use a Millenia intake, EGR & exhaust manifolds? That would give you a much better intake manifold & throttle body and retain all the emissions mumbo jumbo.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

what besides being jdm and not having necessary equipment will hinder a ze from passing emissions? codes? seems like most ze's pass emission test, maybe not visual tho if they are really checkin it out. shouldnt there be no codes once a proper ecu is in place?
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

passing emmissions is actually pretty easy here....we have a hot rod class. We just do a swap. take car to Mazda who puts in writing that there is no way the cart ever came with that engine. Car gets classed as a hot rod and emmissions are graded on 1980's standards.
Can still fail, but is easier to pass.
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

Originally posted by TsiMiata:
Would it be possible to use a Millenia intake, EGR & exhaust manifolds? That would give you a much better intake manifold & throttle body and retain all the emissions mumbo jumbo.
sure, tell me where to get those parts for less than $1500.00 and I would do it.

The EGR from mazda is $500.00 CDN, the pipe that joins the exhaust manifold to the EGR is round 150.00 CDN, or you could try to get it all from a wrecker but what wrecker is gonna sell a complete intake manifold from a running motor? even then your gonna pay around 500-800 just for the manifold.

can you walk into a U-PICK-IT yard and find all the stuff just sitting there and grabb it for 50.00? sure but its about a 1 in a 1000 chance.

:shrug:
Yes, I AM a bastard

TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I bought a complete millenia intake 2 weeks ago for $150 US. The exhaust manifolds are the same as the probe/MX-6 so those are going to be dirt cheap. A quick look on car-part.com turned up more than a few for $25 each. I would guess the egr assembly might run you $50-$100.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”