ram air V. CAI

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bad_mazda

ram air V. CAI

Post by bad_mazda »

with the new engine(KFZE) ive decided to create one of the beloved homemade intakes once again, but this time im not sure if i wanna keep the CAI or try a ram air...whats the general concensus on the better setup
Kf-ze
UrBaNsTyLe55

Re: ram air V. CAI

Post by UrBaNsTyLe55 »

hey how does your kf-ze run i to have on and installed it in my protege but haven't finished yet with it to run
92 323 KF-ZE V6 swap done by me 2 1/4 header back exhaust no cat car now for sale for very cheap! email me at queensnysfinnest@aol.com for pics and questions
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

The increase in power from a ram air is very, very small. It's also very hard to get it to even work. Then it aklso makes it a lot easier to suck water into the engine. Save yourself a whole lot of trouble and go for the CAI.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Our engines in either trim dont suck in enough air to make any use of a ram-air setup. You'd only see power VERY late in the powerband.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:
Our engines in either trim dont suck in enough air to make any use of a ram-air setup. You'd only see power VERY late in the powerband.<hr></blockquote><p>What??? Ram Air has nothing to do with the size of your engine. It's about how much air pressure you can get into a ram air setup. Which is based on the area of the opening, placement on the car and speed of the car. No where does engine size come into the equation.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

how else can i say this...<p>The K series engines are not "heavy-breathers", meaning they dont make mass amounts of power when air-flow is increased without fuel modifications. When responding to this post i answered the question of effectiveness of a ram-air setup on our particular car, not the dynamics of a ram-air setup in general. Furthermore, wouldnt the size of the T/B, size of the I/M, and other characteristics pertaining to the volume of air an engine can flow have a direct correlation to the amount of pressure of air a system can effectively use?<p>In any event, we both agree that the ram-air setup is not the best choice on our engines.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
bad_mazda

Post by bad_mazda »

aight thanks ill keep the CAI then. as to the question of how my engine runs, i'm not sure just yet we still havent finished putting it in. but i'll be sure to post sum pics of the finished engine bay.
Kf-ze

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”