Shifter finally fell through the floor...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
2.5mx3

Shifter finally fell through the floor...

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Well, I knew it would happen sooner or later. I was thinking of some alternative to actually replacing the whole linkage, and I'm wondering if I'd be able to just weld the two pieces together for a more permanent fix. Those little plastic clips just don't cut it, and I can't believe that's all that was holding it up.<p>So, could those pieces be welded, or not?
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
Tyler17rose

Re: Shifter finally fell through the floor...

Post by Tyler17rose »

Mine fell through, i just put in a self tapping screw through the 2 peices to hold it together. Works well!
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

this has happen twice to me i just replaced it the 1st time but yes i am doing the self tapping screws as well due to the design itself was poor quality and i dont feel like giving mazda dealership another 90 bucks
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Ahh, good idea guys, thanks. :)
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

it happened to me too and I replaced it the first time, but it just happened to my friend a few weeks and and he used a u-bolt, sounds a little more secure than a self-tapping screw
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Actually those two clips don't hold it up, the rubber bushing inside the shifter assembly is what holds it up.<p>Kinda hard to explain. Basically there is 3 parts of the linkage: the shifter linkage arm that attaches to the tranny, the shift stabilizer rod which is the other arm you see going to the transmission (but doens't change the gears), and the plate that is bolted to the interior of your car.<p>
basically the plate has the round enclosure for the shift stabilizer arm to go into. THe shift stabilizer arm is surrounded with a rubber bushing that "pops" into the plate and stays in place with two square shaped nubs that expand outward. This is what actually holds up the linkage. After about 8 years, it begins to detriorate. I had to replace the linkage on my Protege already with one off a 323.<p>As for holding it up, I tried the "drill a screw through it all" and that only worked for about a month before the screw came loose. Then I tried a nut and bolt setup. It kept getting loose. <p>I'd suggest either making your own bracket, replacing the whole damn thing, or using lock tite on a bolt w/ nut. Just using a screw isn't going to last. If you used a bolt or two (i used two SMALL ones) then it might hold longer, but keep in mind that it gets hot under there, and will rust during the winter due to exhaust heat.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
pickinganame

Post by pickinganame »

i just said screw it and welded it mine up there

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”