Cams are in

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Oliver

Cams are in

Post by Oliver »

Well I FINALLY got my KL01 cams into my K8, and was that ever a chore. Had to get my left cylender head rebuilt because the cam wore the journal down. Anyways, runs good, I think it may have a little more torque but its hard to tell.
-
My check engine reads an egr #16 on the list. Any ideas on how to fix that?
And I might have a vacuum leak somewhere, how can I tell for sure?
Sorry I can't get any more info for you guys but I start my college days on monday and I'm movin tommorow. Gas milage isn't any worse for sure. May be better city driving can't tell for sure yet. Total hours, worked on it by myself and it must have took me around 20. Getting the timing belt on took over an hour alone because its really touchy getting the timing right. I put on a new fuel filter, timing belt, intake spacers, power steering and a/c belt, and totally rebuilt the left head so I can't really tell if the cams are doing anything for me or not. Idles about the same. I don't know what else I can tell you guys. But I'm goin to bed. Gotta be up at 6am tommorow. Price tag on this whole deal was about $1000. Mazda has a licence to steal.
TsiMiata

Re: Cams are in

Post by TsiMiata »

You can find a vacuum leak by spraying carb cleaner around the manifold. When you hit it the idle will drop down. I know it sounds crazy but it works and works very well.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Give us all the A/B comparisons. MPG before and after. 0-60 times before and after. 1/4 mile times before and after. I'm very interested in this swap.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Well got my cel to turn off, missed a hose I needed to hook up :roll: . But yeah, it works really good. You can definatly feel more pull at 2500rpm. I'm going to try and get on a dyno for you guys some time before x-mas and see just what they did to my torque curve. But I had to silicone a 2.5" square shut on my air filter because a mouse chewed through it and my top end still increased a bit. 200km/h was the best it could do before and that was a high. Got it up to 205 last night. A pretty crued comparison for top end difference, but its all I got. I'm checking mpg today on my 90mile trip to the city. My car got 40mpg before, we'll see what it gets now. So far I'm happy with them. I'll keep you posted.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by K8:
My car got 40mpg before, we'll see what it gets now. <hr></blockquote><p>40MPG??? What'd you do? Idle in neutral while somone pushed the car?
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

or a steady 40 km/h?
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

40mpg driving home from edmonton 105km/h for just over 300km. Checked on a 80mile drive with the new cams in, figured 56, I must have figured wrong. I think I got the car way fuller at home than when I filled at the gas station. I'll do another test this weekend. Getting a new air filter tommorow.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by K8:
I must have figured wrong.<hr></blockquote><p>Ummmm. Yeah. Ya think?<p>You can't figure it on a 80 mile trip anyways. You have to top off until the pump shut-off comes on, Then, drive until the empty light starts coming on. Then, refil at the pump. Pump once again until the pump shut-off activates. Not how much fuel you put in. Divide miles on odometer by the amount of gas in gallons you put in. It should read 20-25 MPG. If you got 25-30 MPG.....I suppose it'd be possible. 30+ MPG on the K8 - impossible; you screwed up the math.<p>[ August 25, 2003: Message edited by: lakersfan1 ]</p>
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Best I've achieved in a stock MX-3 is 34 mpg (UK gallons) = 28.3 mpg (US gallons)
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by IanL:
Best I've achieved in a stock MX-3 is 34 mpg (UK gallons) = 28.3 mpg (US gallons)<hr></blockquote><p>Believable. Very believable if it was the 4 banger.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”