VRIS Controller Review....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lazzyie

VRIS Controller Review....

Post by lazzyie »

This thing is way too much fun to play with....
VRTuner Review
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Re: VRIS Controller Review....

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Did it make a notticable difference I am thinking about picking it up ?
Thanks
kris
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

Interesting. I would like to hear more from people who have these.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

How much is it? I didn't see a price. And I wonder if that'd be helpful in tuning a KF intake for a K8 block, but actualy utilizing the extra air of the larger intake????
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lakersfan1:
How much is it? I didn't see a price. And I wonder if that'd be helpful in tuning a KF intake for a K8 block, but actualy utilizing the extra air of the larger intake????<hr></blockquote>
The price is on rpmtuners.com, I think they are $160US. As for the difference it made. The car has a much smoother powerband but I kinda miss the 4700 rpm boost I used to get. When I make it down to the track again I will post numbers we can see if it actually did anything.<p>[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: lazzyie ]</p>
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
MarcJ

Post by MarcJ »

With a VRTuner, do you still need a KLZE ECU?<p>Marc
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Hmm..we should see if we could get a group buy
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MarcJ:
With a VRTuner, do you still need a KLZE ECU?<p>Marc<hr></blockquote><p>Yes, beacause all the VRTuner does is control the VRIS solenoids. It doesn't do anything for fuel or spark, AFAIK.
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

It says on their website that they have some kind of racer's discount. Anyone knows how much it is?
I would definetely be interested in a group buy for these.
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
b4tn

Post by b4tn »

Wow it seems the word is spreading fast! Hopefully I can answer all your questions regarding the VRTuner.<p>First I am not familiar with the 1.8L manifold but doesnt it have a lot more VRIS points than the 2.5L? If it has more points then no this wont work for the 1.8L<p>Right now it is designed to run the ECU of your choosing for the 2.5L and without throwing any codes tune the VRIS points. With the MX3 it works good for the millinia manifold to set the VRIS point where they are supposed to be vs the ZE points.
95 Mazda MX6 LS Turbo
`KL-03 174 WHP 164 ft/lb`
`75 shot 240 WHP 241 ft/lb`
`6 psi 224 WHP 212 ft/lb` still untuned
http://mazda-tuner.net
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

RE: the above comment about more VRIS points, here's a page from the shop manual:<p>Image<p>See the graphic second from the bottom. Those are the points for the 1.8L. Are there more than the 2.5L?
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

i saw this the other nite on probetalk, looks like its comparable for what a vafc is for honda but just adjusts the butterflies and not air/fuel. im gonna try to do a group buy, anybody interested?
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
andy

Post by andy »

the 1.8 k series has the same # of points. it has been shown to us from a manual that suggests that it has more, like the diagram above.
closed/closed
open/closed
open/open
closed/closed
I don't recall the exact rpm's right now but I'm sure I could find it.
I believe the points are different from the 2.5L
but only by a couple hundred rpm's
Andy P. 93 GS
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

The K8 has additional "both open" from 1900 to 2600, as shown on the chart posted above. But the effect is small, as can be seen on the previous page of the manual.<p>I don't see why you would benefit from this unit with a stock K8. <p>As I understand it, one suggestion is that, if you fit a Millenia manifold to a K8, you should use the points for the Millenia. Seems doubtful to me - the VRIS is a resonance effect, dependent upon gas flow. The amount of flow at a particular rpm is dependent on the swept volume of the engine. What's right for a 2.5L won't be for a 1.8. You would needs lots of dyno runs, experimenting with the points, to determine the right ones for a K8/Millenia manifold hybrid.<p>[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: IanL ]</p>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

I would definetly be intrested in a groupbuy! I have one problem i need to clear up first , my vris arenot opening at the right times seems like they are sluggish. Is that because of an vac. leak? If anyone out there has good high quality pictures of the vac. lines and how they are routed i would love to see them!!!! I dont think my #2 vris is even opening a 1/3 of the way. PLEASE HELP
65 shot > V8

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”