Coolant Question?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nolimits865

Coolant Question?

Post by nolimits865 »

I read somewhere that somebody put some kind of coolant alternative in their car and it lowered their temps. Does anybody know what this stuff is called? Thanks!
lakersfan1

Re: Coolant Question?

Post by lakersfan1 »

Probably water wetter. That's the current fad in coolant.<p>I'm just using mostly water with a 15% coolant level instead of the normal 50%. I figured since I live in Nevada, I'm not worried about the coolant freezing. The 15% mix sould cover me in the winter here, even if I go into the mountains.<p>But water is THE best conductor of heat. Coolant is a pretty crappy conductor of heat. It's more in there to adjust the freeze and boil point of the water in your cooling system. Just switching to a heavier concentration of water vs. coolant should do fine. Not sure how cold it gets in Tennesee, though. But 15% mix will probably cover you to about 20 degrees just fine.
nolimits865

Post by nolimits865 »

appreciate the info the temps are crazy around here in the winter one day its 35 degrees and the next its 0 degrees thanks again!!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nolimits865:
appreciate the info the temps are crazy around here in the winter one day its 35 degrees and the next its 0 degrees thanks again!!<hr></blockquote><p>You could always drain the coolant twice a year. It's pretty damned simple on the MX3. Took me about 10 minutes, and I'm at more of a hobbyist level in my car DIY knowledge. Coolant is dirt cheap. It's that watter wetter that costs alot. It's like $9 for a little bottle, and I'm still not convinced it really helps all that much.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”