side exhaust

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bad_mazda

side exhaust

Post by bad_mazda »

i was reading a mustang magazine last night(i was bored) and saw an article on how to install this side exhaust kit for a V6 stang...i couldnt help but think hmmm an mx-3 with side exhaust...tasty... now im wondering if theres any way to pull it off? has anyone done it?
Kf-ze
Spida

Re: side exhaust

Post by Spida »

While I am sure it is do-able I am not sure if you would like the results. First off because the mx-3 was designed for a rear exit exhaust it has a grove in the floor boards that allows the exhaust not to hang down and steal ground clearance. Because you would have to go out of this groove to get to the side exit you would loose this space. Second because there is only so much room between the end of the headers and where you would exit this exhaust you could only fit 2 components of the cat, resonator, muffler combo NEEDED to keep the car quiet. Now I am sure your thinking as I did well the MX-3 is fairly quiet so I am sure removing one of these would be fine. But as I found out with my new exhaust, it’s very loud and even painfully loud at 2500 rpm while accelerating. Although it might be lass loud since the trunk would no longer act as a sound box amplifying the sound. So if ground clearance and hearing are not important to you I say yeah it’s easy.
Hy300

Re: side exhaust

Post by Hy300 »

Actually on the passanger side right before the rear wheel the stock exhaust bends and comes very close to the side of the car as it is routed around the fuel tank. At this point the exhaust pipe points right out to the side of the vehicle. Lay down and look under the car some time from the passanger side and you'll see what I mean. It is the simplest answer and offers the most ground clearance.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”