1.8 in the 14's

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tcsnipe

1.8 in the 14's

Post by tcsnipe »

Ok I want to make my 1.8 run in the 14's. With all the bolt ons, intake, exhaust, throttlebody, short shifter,pulleys. Do you think I have a chance? I would probably need some more engine work. I know what people are gonna say get a KL-ZE, I might do that I just want to know about this first. Thanks
Sonicxtacy02

Re: 1.8 in the 14's

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

short of force induction the answer would be no. There was a post awhile back on a 1.8 with all bolt ons, low end work, completely built to run n/a and i think the most they were able to squeeze out of it is a measely 150hp. Thats probably good for low 16's.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

It'd prob be cheaper to drop the 2.5 in there than it would to do all that stuff too...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

I remember hearing of K8's with PRM style CAI, ignition wires, full exhaust, larger TB 64mm (IIRC), and lots of weight reduction being able to run low 15's. I think with good slicks an MX-3 with a bit more weight reduction (focus on unsprung weight) being able to run high 14's.
tcsnipe

Post by tcsnipe »

Well Im planning on putting an exhaust, PRM intake, bigger throttle body, UO Pulleys, and ill take some weight off and try to run in the 14's. I think it can be done with some practice.
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

Goodluck :shrug:
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

What about nitrous or unlocking the rev limiter?<p>I just bought a pretty sweet condition MX-3 GS after a decade of wanting one. The first thing that struck me is how quiet and smooth this engine is at 7500 RPM's. It's quiter than my 626's 2.0 I4 at 2,500 RPM. I gotta think an engine with that small of a stroke would be good up to 9,000 RPM no problem.<p>And I also wonder how well the 1.8 would take a medium sized dry shot of nitrous. Maybe a 50 shot?<p>The car is plenty fun to drive now with decent fuel economy. I don't want to mess with that. But it'd be nice not to be laughed off the track if I wanted to go run 1/4 miles at the race-way for kicks.
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

I'm 99% sure there is no rev limiter atleast nothing up to 8000rpm, and slap a cold air intake on the V6 and it will be as loud as you would ever want! The engine roars to life at high rpm, and has a intimedating awsome sound!
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
andy

Post by andy »

tcsnipe, sorry you will not make it to the 14's with that list of mods. you would be lucky to make it the the mid 15's. Add a 50 shot and sure maybe you'd be there.
I have a cai,bored TB(60mm),shaved TB shaft,phenolics (intake & TB), TP,STS,reworked stock exhaust. three trips to the track and I'm in the mid 16's.
besides all that, once you start adding any significant HP you will need a better clutch.
I would just love to be in the mid 15's.
those trips to the track I did not lighten the car much,spare & mats. I don't remember the equations but if you remove enough weight, say 500 lbs, that would put you into the 15's.
I don't want to totally discourage you from trying, so go do it and let me know how.
Andy 93 GS
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

I saw a red gs with intake, exhaust, weight reduction, and a small shot of nitrous run low 15's. Do a little bit more and you're in.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
LLCoolWas

Post by LLCoolWas »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by T-Rose:
I'm 99% sure there is no rev limiter atleast nothing up to 8000rpm, and slap a cold air intake on the V6 and it will be as loud as you would ever want! The engine roars to life at high rpm, and has a intimedating awsome sound!<hr></blockquote><p>7200rpm redline, 7800rpm rev limiter/fuel cutoff<p>[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: Waseem Traish ]</p>
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS(R) KL-ZE<BR>Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Pacesetter Exhaust, Catco Catalytic Converter, K&N Cone Air Intake
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

The K8 is safe at RPMs above 12k, possibly even much higher depending upon who you ask. The issue is that the motor makes no power above 6500rpm, so why would you need to go that high?<p>If someone can shave 100lbs from a factory spec MX-3 with a good clutch and tires I would think mid-high 15's wouldn't be too difficult with a good driver. If you can optimise the intake, port the IM and reprogram VRIS for top end, and simply run a less restrictive catalytic converter on the same vehicle then low 15's seems feasible. Put in a stronger clutch, quicken the shifts, and go for 2"-2.25" i.d. exhaust piping from the flex pipe then 14's doesn't seem out of reach.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”