V6 intake sound

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3man83

V6 intake sound

Post by mx3man83 »

Whattup, ive got a cone filter on my stock intake tube and it sounds pretty good, not like honda loud, but its got a nice smooth growl. I had the same set up on my RS with the maf, and it wasnt near as loud. My question is this....if i was to get rid of the stock tube and adapt some sort of metal intake tube from another car would it be louder? Im no expert in enginerring but something leads me to believe that the little resonators(ridges) on the stock tube help to muffle intake noise. Not only the ridges, but the big ole "horn" thing that is hooked to the stock tube. Has anyone heard a GS with a cone filter on a stock tube compared to a metal intake tube?? Thanks..
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Spydie

Re: V6 intake sound

Post by Spydie »

I've tried both and am using a pipe right now....I can't say I noticed a difference in engine sound except that now I distinctly hear the sucking of air sound alot more.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Sweet, thanks..Thats what i was hoping. Im going to get a metal tube here soon enough if not for sound or air flow, then looks at least.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

im not sure if you know already, but that "horn thing" i THINK youre talking about is your VAF. that has to stay there, your car may start, but it will run like **** and you wont be able to drive it anywhere lol. just any fyi in case you didnt know, not trying to be an *** :D lates
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

its about the same. the metal piping sounds a little louder imo. im using the stock rubber and a down pipe cuz i dont usually drive on the freeway and the metal one is more likely to get heat soak.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by thebonestockkid:
im not sure if you know already, but that "horn thing" i THINK youre talking about is your VAF. that has to stay there, your car may start, but it will run like **** and you wont be able to drive it anywhere lol. just any fyi in case you didnt know, not trying to be an *** :D lates<hr></blockquote><p>
nooo not quite. The horn thing is a big ole plastic thing that resembles a horn. The vaf desnt resemble a horn, at least not to me. If you look on a stock tube you cant miss it.
My Cardomain site
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx3man83:
<p>
nooo not quite. The horn thing is a big ole plastic thing that resembles a horn. The vaf desnt resemble a horn, at least not to me. If you look on a stock tube you cant miss it.
<hr></blockquote>
I think you're refering to the air resonator. It's a plastic tube that points down beside the disty to a dead end. Is that what you mean?
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Yes i believe air resonator would make sense. Regardless of the name, if you saw it you would know exactly what im talking about. It's the only odd shaped, big, most out of place looking thing on the intake tube.<p>[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</p>
My Cardomain site
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

If you take that air resonator off and plug the hole, it will definately increase intake sound. I recently did it and it made a difference in sound.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”