cone filter vs. prm intake

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Coodoodxx

cone filter vs. prm intake

Post by Coodoodxx »

Ive given myself a headache reading all the stuff about air intakes, but the question im looking for is never answered. If just put a k&n cone filter on, instead of my stock air box, how will that perform compared to the prm. Im sure the prm is a little better, and looks nice, but is it worth the 150+ dollars extra your paying and the pain in the *** of putting on the prm. Im hoping you guys can help me, youve done a great job in helping me alot so far. :D
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
sheller

Re: cone filter vs. prm intake

Post by sheller »

From what I understand, the biggest difference will be that cone filter will just sit in the engine bay while the prm will suck air from the fender area. It isn't too big a deal when you're driving, but when you are still you're sucking hot air into the intake which is generally frowned upon. I hope this is what you're looking for.
Steve
Hex3

Post by Hex3 »

I have had the stock air box in my car, a prm and a cone filter. In my Opinion i would not spend the money on a prm intake its SUCKS! Again this is my Opinion!!!!!! I have a ZE and it actually restricted air from going in to my motor.. it just felt like it didnt help at all, so i took it off and i put my cone filter back on and it was much better... i am going to make a heat sheld for my intake to keep the hot ait out, that is a fact.... but my motor sucks in so much air that it is actually sucking in my cone filter inside.
I am going to spend 135 bucks and get a HKS filter. If you want a PRM i have one for sell $100us shipped to your house...
2.5 KL-ZE, BBS rims, I the front i have to falkin Azenis, Intrax Springs, CM Stage 1 clutch, and Fidanza flywheel, Pacesetter short shifter, Tociko Blue Struts, Sparco Steering Wheel, Yellow Top Battery
Alpine Type R Subs 10's, Alpine 2 Channel Amp, Alpine 4 channel
Amp, Alpine Alarm,Alpine Headunit
14.8 @ 94.2(with vaccume lick)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I disagree. But this is my opinion. Hex3 is using a ZE, and the cone he is using was one I had on my RS, now keep in mind he does have a ZE, its pulling in so much air, the cone is starting to compress! He is the only person I know of that doesnt like the PRM, then again, its all based on your own personal opinion.
Coodoodxx

Post by Coodoodxx »

hey hex that sounds like a sweet deal, just lemme know how much 100 bucks us is in canadian dollars so i don't have to go to the bank and get some us money and have them rape me with extra fees, email me through here and we can figure out how we can do this. :) Thanx again bud :D
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

100.00 United States Dollars = 143.43 Canada Dollars
Coodoodxx

Post by Coodoodxx »

uhh not that im cheap or anything, but the cdn dollar is worth almost 70 cents now not 60
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
Coodoodxx

Post by Coodoodxx »

so yah i checked its at 69.3 cents on the usd, so does 135 cdn sound close to that, its up to you rev, your the boss. :shrug:
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
Coodoodxx

Post by Coodoodxx »

k now i look like an *** im meant hex sorry dood, i shouldn't drink beer so early in the morning. :p
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Coodoodxx

Post by Coodoodxx »

http://finance.canada.com/ left side of screen
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
Coodoodxx

Post by Coodoodxx »

I dunno i don't wanna get into anyarguments cause thats not cool, ill just check with the bank they'll know for sure. haha its all up to hex anyway so ill talk to him when he gets back to me. :) who knows whos right
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

I might want that PRM intake! How old is it? What kind of shape is in? 100 canadian shipped?
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

anyone in toronto looking for one?
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

Looking for what? a Prm ? you got one? How much?
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”