Turbo for MX-3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Turbo for MX-3

Post by neverenuff »

Ok not to sure but I never seen a turbo like this befor can anybody tell me if it is somewhat worth it.<p>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2415094507&category=6770
Marlon

Re: Turbo for MX-3

Post by Marlon »

no there crap, you'll lose hp<p>[ May 14, 2003: Message edited by: Marlon ]</p>
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I'd like dyno proof that this product will decrease horsepower. I see a lot of people denouncing these types of products but no hard evidence. Anything that will flow more air than your engine will suck n/a will increase horsepower. I don't remember what the CFM is for the n/a engine, but this claims a 120CFM flow. Unless you have tried this product, or have solid proof, don't denounce it.<p>[ May 15, 2003: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]</p>
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
FMSMX3

Post by FMSMX3 »

I don't have dyno proof, but these products have been tested before and do not work. They have been discussed a lot on yahoo groups and they're probably posts on here about them too.<p>First off I do not think they get enough electrical power to make them spin fast enough to add a significant amount of air to them.<p>Second, it's up to $120.00. I believe these are nothing more than a $10.00 computer fan and it comes with a K&N cone.<p>I'd say buyer beware, and if you want to see dyno results ask the seller. If it really makes power than he should have no problem providing them.
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

Why don't you buy one and find out for yourself it doesn't work? Tell you what, if you buy it and it gives you 25HP like that guy's bogus feedback says, I'll buy it from you for double what you paid for it. Fair enough?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

well ive discussed this several times, yes they have to give you some type of performance, ryan is right more air is better but 25hp is pushing it, and yes there are down sides to these fans, 1 heat resistance several accounts where the fan has gotten to hot from engine heat and broken off going into the engine (not good) but i have to agree they have to give you some better performance
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

No, they don't "have to give you better performance". If the fan is powerful enough to do anything (and this one isn't) whatever gain you could possibly see would be totally offset by the alternator providing the power. This is not a "something for nothing" proposition.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

It's so funny how people say these are garbage but have never used one before or seen one in use. I have no idea if they work or not, but I want to see some dyno proof either way. For the people that say the fans break and ruin your engine, well how do you know? Because you heard it online? Maybe it happens, maybe it doesnt. Nobody has ever proved that the fans actually brake. Whoever gets one of these products, go get a dyno before and after and post the results.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Actually, they restrict ALOT, and the amount of strain on your alternator doenst help for the extra 1-2 PSI of air it tires to push. Just hope the plastic flaps dont break in your motor. Jeff abrams (mazda maniac) has the actual electronic supercharger. he'll tell u himself all this is junk. I myself wouldt waste my own money just to test out something theoretically may sound good but in the real world, its garbage.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

First off, I don't see where it says 25HP. I see where it says 10-15% (13-19HP on the GS) Also, I do agree that there are some of these on ebay that may not be the quality that it should be, but who's to say this particular piece is not. If this turbo is spinning fast enought to break the blades, that would be a problem from the factory. I can't see why sticking it on an engine would cause it to break any more than running it free would. :shrug: I'm not saying this item works. I'm not saying it doesn't work. I'm just saying don't denounce it until you have personal and physical proof that it is crap. <p>That being said, I don't see why this item wouldn't work as stated. If it pushes more air than the car ingests n/a, then it will produce more power. I don't see how this extra strain on the alternator would rob 10-15% of the engines power. I really have no idea if this works, I just hate people bad mouthing products they have only hear-say about.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Its not up to the naysayers to prove this thing DOESNT work, its up to the people selling it to prove that it DOES work. According to my fuzzy math skills at 9:00 am on a Friday morning, a 1.6 liter engine takes in 120 cfm at somewhere near 4100 rpm. Even at full tilt, this little fan IS restrictive below our engines HP and torque peak rpm. And that doesnt even factor volumetric efficiency, heating of the air, and a bazillion other factors. And anything plastic that is subject to heat WILL deteriorate. Being that this thing is AFT of the filter, are you willing to take the CHANCE that it might break up and go into the engine? Not me. And what rpm is this fan turning? This little motor with the two little rinky-dink wires sticking out would have to pull some serious rpms and draw some serious amperage to provide any useable boost. Those little wires would probably be glowing red-hot before they would pull enough amps to get this motor up to an rpm where it could push enough air at a pressure to really do anything. Real-world turbochargers can spin over 120,000 rpm. For the mathmatically challenge, thats 2000 revolutions PER SECOND. I doubt this little motor is doing more than 5-6000 rpm tops. Look at the superchargers and turbos manufacturers are putting on cars. They are stout, heavy duty little units for a reason. If manufacturers could get away with using a small plastic electric fan unit in the intake they would have done this years ago. Why would they have wasted time, material and 30 lbs of dead weight with cast iron and aluminum when they could have used 10 ounces plastic? This little plastic pooper device will go the way of the Tornado swirler, the 200 mpg fuel line magnets, and countless other miracle devices that look good on paper and make big promises but just dont work.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>
sunrays21(108) May-01-03 19:29:42 PDT (private) S
Praise : TURBO!* WORKS BETTER THAN EXPECTED * CHEAP WAY TO GET 25 H/P! * FAST SHIPPING!<hr></blockquote><p>It's in that seller's feedback. There's a reason people like this use "private" feedback. Because I'm 99% sure that person didn't buy a turbo kit from this seller. Shady sellers often trade feedback on penny items and the like to make them look legit. It doesn't work with me, just sends up my BS flag. I particularly like this comment (which appears to be legit.)
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>
skyfox16(20) Not a registered user Mar-11-03 14:14:30 PST (private) S
Neutral : Turbo was a gimmic,no Hp gain noticed, payd $135 for a fan basicly, buyer beware
Response by bigems187 - Guy must have misread and thought it was a t3/t4 turbo. 10-15% not 100hp!
Follow-up by skyfox16 - DONT BUY FROM HIM HE LEFT ME NEG FEEDBACK CUS I WASNT HAPPY W/ITEM! WHAT A J*RK!<hr></blockquote><p>I also agree with everything guyaverage and Barry have said on this topic.<p>[ May 16, 2003: Message edited by: JasonH ]</p>
maldo

Post by maldo »

I honestly can't believe we are still having this discussion. If it was such an effective device, why hasn't HKS, Turbonetics, IHI, Garret or the like come out with their own "electric turbo". It's all BS and you suckers are keeping these guys in business.
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

As long as there are products like this and people looking for cheap horsepower, conversations like this WILL happen. I hate to admit I actually tried to build something like this about 10 years ago using an electric leaf blower and impeller on a Nissan 240. A few beers and few hours later, and a couple of well placed smacks on the forehead, I gave up. The first step toward admitting you have a problem.....If you want my advice, save your money to pay for a REAL turbo (technically speaking, to be a nitpick this electric thing isnt even a turbocharger..... turbos are exhaust driven.... this would be an electric SUPERcharger....) Someday the manufacturers may make a sucessfull setup like this, but this particular one aint it. (I'm not sure why they would even bother. The belt driven super's work fine and give almost instantaneous boost. Even the better designed exhaust-driven turbos have minimal boost lag anymore). Hell they just recently started using electrically-driven A/C compressors.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Ok Ok!!!! Enough is enough! I emailed this guy about his product. He said he has a STOCK Civic and this "turbo" brought his car up to 167 horsepower!!! YEA RIGHT!! He is now beating Integra GSR's he says...I raise the BS flag on this one guys.....
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”