Clutch Problem!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Talon_66

Clutch Problem!

Post by Talon_66 »

Ok, I just picked up my new MX-3.
Ok, so I was driving it, and It feels like no matter how far I push the clutch to the floor, the clutch feels like it is trying to grab... example when I am in first gear stopped, I have the clutch to the floor, and the car is shaking like its half ingaged, and grabbing!! Well anyways, I was driving home and BAM. All of a sudden, the clutch lost all feeling, yet it still does this in first gear, but I can shift fine in 2nd and 3rd<p>HELP!!!
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
David Coleman

Re: Clutch Problem!

Post by David Coleman »

Could be the following:
-blown clutch line
-blown slave cylinder
-blown clutch master cylinder
-broken clutch fork
-toasted throwout bearing
-funky pressure plate issues<p>
I'd check them in about that order...
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Thanks Dave.
Sorry if my post is/was hard to read. I was trying to get all of it out at once :mad:
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Ok, took it to Aamco today
Small leak in the slave cylinder, cause the flywheel to lose pressure when engaging the clutch, cuasing the to 2 rub. This cause hot spots. <p>he is charging me
$500 for the clutch and pressure plate
$85 for resurfacing the flywheel
$115 for a new Slave cylinder
4 hours labour
$80 Rear seal<p>Anyways, estimated total was $1113 CND, not including taxes
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Talon_66:
Ok, took it to Aamco today
Small leak in the slave cylinder, cause the flywheel to lose pressure when engaging the clutch, cuasing the to 2 rub. This cause hot spots. <p>he is charging me
$500 for the clutch and pressure plate
$85 for resurfacing the flywheel
$115 for a new Slave cylinder
4 hours labour
$80 Rear seal<p>Anyways, estimated total was $1113 CND, not including taxes
<hr></blockquote><p>
Did you get vaseline for that reaming? :eek: <p>new slave cyl was ~50USD when I bought it in December. Clutch master cyl was another 75USD. You may or may not need a new clutch disc/pressure plate. You're getting taken to the cleaners...
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Damn man, you're get bent over a crate of mayonaise. (Dave got the "you're f'ed" joke in first)<p>I would suggest a Clutchmaster's Stage 1. I love CM, they take a beating and last a long time. Plus the stage one is practically stock and I believe its relatively cheap. As for all the other parts, well... you need to shop around for better prices because you should NOT be paying that much.
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

I saw both the flywheel and pressure plate, both have heat damage and are badly cracked. Aamco shares a lot, with the company I work for. So we do business with them all the time. I saw all the parts. But yeah it does seem high :S
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Flywheels can be $50, I heard, from NAPA or online autoparts stores, do some searching there.<p>CM sends you a pressure plate, so its worth it if it needs replaced.
nolimits865

Post by nolimits865 »

Hell, my clutch kit is $125 U.S. I can get it installed for $200 and the flywheel resurfaced for $30 You got ripped off man!!
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by David Coleman:
<p>
new slave cyl was ~50USD when I bought it in December. Clutch master cyl was another 75USD.
<hr></blockquote><p>where u get the new slave cyl from???<p>
aj
resurected KL-ZE,ZE ECU, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, CMIII, home depot CAI, Hiflow Cat, 2 1/2" piping, exhaust, 2 MASS 2012's, Cadence A7, Blaupunkt Casablanca, and a no damn CEL light!!!
laboiler

Post by laboiler »

Just replaced a clutch, $225. resurfecing the flywheel involved nothing more than a 3-M sanding wheel to remove the glaze. The glaze always looks burnt, kinda blue/black/silver. If ya mail it to me I'll resurface it and it'll still be under $85 LOL. :D The parts you can price yourself from the dealer, probably the same price because he gets a discount to build in some profit. The clutch kit (Dynamax from any parts store) should not be more than $125. Watch UAP/NAPA, their prices can be very high for the same quality part. Shop around, save yer bucks.
...does not play well with others.
pelado

Post by pelado »

I believe he said the flywheel was cracked which means it should be replaced. Any reputable shop will refuse to resurface a cracked flywheel.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
laboiler

Post by laboiler »

K. Didn't see where he said it was cracked, still seems kinda expensive. :shrug:
...does not play well with others.
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

hoooly crap dude,,, :eek: :eek:
i recently had to take a trip to the junkyard around GTA area for water pump and PS pump and outa curiousity i asked for these two prices too,
slave cyl. is 50 bucks :eek: and clutch master cyl is 30 bucks or more. The wreckers i checked were carcone's in newmarket and a wrecker in stoney creek(near hamilton),,
you are getting ripped off big time man, and definitely check out www.car-part.com , they have amazing prices listed there. :shrug:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”