just got a 94 gs...help?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
reSa

just got a 94 gs...help?

Post by reSa »

got a 94 gs with 69000 miles on it. the guy i bought it from said that he changed out pretty much everything that would need to be changed...like radiator, timing belt, etc. just wondering...i had a 93 RS a little while back...the gs seems MUCH louder...like a weird constant humming noise when the engine starts...uh is this normal??? it seems really LOUD compared to my rs...but considering that its got much more power...i dont know. and also its been kinda cold lately here in hawaii (about 50-60 degrees) and their was some white smoke coming out of my exhaust...i dont think it was much though. my bf was tailing me on the way home and he said it lasted for about 10 to 15 minutes. but he said it wasnt much. my mechanic friend said white smoke is a sure sign of a blown head gasket?? but i would think that it would be an excessive amount of smoke...right?? it stopped smoking after 10-15 minutes. probably just condensation right? any help would be lovely. thanks guys. :p
Hy300

Re: just got a 94 gs...help?

Post by Hy300 »

Well that noise you're hearing is the infamous drone of a K series engine. You'll hear it constantly whenever you're light on the throttle at under 3K rpm. You'll get used to it. But... white smoke for that long isn't always condensation, but it did stop smoking which is a good thing. Check you're coolant level because your mechanic is right, white smoke is a sign of burning coolant caused by a bad head gasket.<p>I would suggest going out to your car one morning and opening the hood. Before you go anywhere or start it up there is a silver cap on the left side of the engine right behind the front valve cover. You should find it pretty quickly. When you take the cap off you can wipe it with a clean rag or papertowel, then look down inside the opening and look for the fluid inside. Remember the level of that liquid, thats your coolant. Now, I recommend spending a buck or two on a small bottle of distilled/deionized water, tap water can cause sediment build up if you use it. Just fill the cap slowly with the distilled/deionized water until it reaches the top. When its full, put the silver cap back on the engine and make sure its tight.<p>All you need to do now is wait. Drive your car around for a week and then. Some morning when its about the same temperature and before you've driven the car that day, just go out and check the fluid level under that cap. If its gotten much lower from the top then you probably have a head gasket leak. If its only a little lower then don't worry, it may just be cold out. Let us know how it turns out
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

No that's not normal, Our engine is very quiet and smooth.(unless you have a loud aftermarket muffler). You probably have a hole in the headers.
marksoden

Post by marksoden »

And I'd just like to add 50-60 is not kinda cold...my 94 mx3 drives ok when it's 20 BELOW zero. And that's FAHRENHEIT.<p>And no noise except for my back left wheel that has no more brake pad left on it and the rotor is warped...but that should go away in the next month or two...
---------
94 Black MX3 GS Manual
reSa

Post by reSa »

hey 50 degrees in a place where it usually never ever goes below high 70s at night...thats pretty cold. :) ) just sent the car into my mechanic today for a full diagnosis...i think its mainly the clutch...makes a bad bad noise when its in gear. like a grinding noise. the white smoke turned out to just be condensation. my bf was just freaking out for nothing.
Sinistral

Post by Sinistral »

my car have white smoke.. But here its winter :D and it's like -30C So I think it's normal for car to have White Some in winter..
T Biller

Post by T Biller »

If it was your head gasket, it wouldn't matter if it was cold or not. The colder it gets the more white you see it's just like when you can see your breath on a cold day. If it's marginaly cold you'll see the white for a couple of minutes, if it's really cold you'll get clouds all the time. This morning I was literally blinded bt the truck in front of me at the lights, I had to wait a couple of seconds to see if it was clear to turn.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”