How can i get some more acceleration?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
blaze red mx-3

How can i get some more acceleration?

Post by blaze red mx-3 »

Hey, my mx-3 has an air intake but i still feel like i am a little with acceleration. I was looking for a fairly inexpensive way to gain some pick up, any ideas?
killerpickle

Re: How can i get some more acceleration?

Post by killerpickle »

there really is no miracle additive or cheap mod that will net any substantial power. Especially low end, or acceleration.<p>What you can do however is make sure your car is in tune. Make sure your plugs are new (ngk gpower are good), wires, fresh oil...<p>If your clutch is old, it is probably slipping, slowing down your acceleration, for 4-500 dollars you could have a nice stage 1-2 clutch put in.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Moving to a different planet would net different gravatational acceleration...<p>Jesse, who's taken a few too many astronomy courses in college
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

There is no simple way to improve low end acceleration other than making the car over 100lbs lighter (you can go much lighter), or having some high horsepower. However then you should probably change the gearing to get more out of first. First goes by so quickly with me I'm afraid I'll break something when I launch, some other vehicles can go to 40-45mph in first.<p>It is a fact to accept though, while the MX-3 has great low end torque that lasts through most of the RPM range, the engine's power can only really be felt from about 3500 and up.
mattster

Post by mattster »

other than the obvious back seat what else do you guys take out of the car to lessen the weight?
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

the back seat doesnt weigh to much so i wouldnt worry bout that to much
nothin helps like a good tune up, ngk plugs, ngk wires, good oil and oil filter, pcv valve, gas filter, theres a fuel injector cleaner made by lucas oil that works wonders and is only $3.50 at pep boys, make sure tire pressure is correct, cold air intake (home depot), cat back exhaust.
and there is always a klze
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Well, there is alot of sound deadening tar on the floor you can remove. <p>I also wanna point out, that high HP only improves accelleration because of the torque that comes along with it. If you want better accelerations, find ways to improve torque. You also have to define inexpensive. Inexpensive to you may be expensive to me. Are we talkin $500 and below? $400? $300? A nice exhaust should help a but with torque. Your best bet (if you want real nice torque gains) would be to save up for a KLZE or a turbo setup. Somewhere on the board I have comprised a list of items that you can use to put together a nice turbo (not extreme power) for under $800 not including installation. You can get KLZE engines for $950 from Sun engines if you are a member of www.probetalk.com. The KLZE engine is 200BHP and 195TQ aproximatly.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

The perfect way to lighten a car is to take everything from the dash to the floor and ask yourself do I use this often enough to need it? Do I need this to be street legal?<p>Oh, and always remember where you took it from and keep its parts with it, even take a picture of where it was before and after you remove it if you don't have a Shop Manual. Its a vehicle like any other, it wasn't hand built like some luxury cars, anything you remove you can always put back in later.<p>[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Hy300 ]</p>
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

I've hear that losing 100lbs is like losing .1-.2 seconds on your 1/4 mile times, take out your seatbelt assembly along with the backseat, that weighs just as much if not more than the seat itself, i also took out my spare tire.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”