please help - loud clicking sound

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mattster

please help - loud clicking sound

Post by mattster »

hey guys, so i as i was changing my timing belt i noticed that one of my CV boots had a nice rip in it and all of the grease had come out. once i was finished with the job i took my car out for a spin only to notice a horrendous clicking sound from the same side as i saw the ripped boot every time i sped up real fast or downshifed or even when i would go over a bump. so i quick got in there and replaced the boot and replaced and re-greased it all. started her up and still the same problem.<BR>now is it safe to assume that the CV joint is toast and need of replacement or i am looking at a much bigger problem??<BR>oh yeah and how the hell do you guys get that huge 32mm spindle nut off??? please tell me is it reverse threaded or what?<P>thanks in advance
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
Psyrg

Re: please help - loud clicking sound

Post by Psyrg »

Although I'm yet to face CV problems in my MX, my previous front wheel drive car suffered significant CV damage. You'll find the CV will be quite worn in there. CV joints are quite cheap, you may be able to get a pair for perhaps $60 US (thats a rough estimate for how much they are in US dollars where I come from), and should require only a small amount of labour to install.<P>I'm not too sure about the MX, but my previous car had a lock nut holding the CV to the disc brake rotor. Have a look for a locking pin or some sort of locking dent (where the nut is physically hit into a groove by a hammer to prevent rotation).<P>If you're really cheap you can swap the two CV joints over, as the wear may be present inside the CV where forwards motion has caused it. If the CV does not click in reverse while turning, you should be able to get away with this. (not recomended)
dylanmx3

Post by dylanmx3 »

That nut is torqued (or should be) to 174lbft-235lbft...pretty heavy duty on a good day. The trick that worked well for me was to have someone stand on the brake pedal while I backed the bolt off with a 2ft Johnson Bar. Make sure you use a puncg to lift the indent that locking the nut in place. It's right hand thread. Make sure that you re-dent the new nut. There are some posts in here that describe that nut coming loose...not a good thing.<BR>Good luck!<BR>Dylan
mattster

Post by mattster »

thanks for the info guys. but should i only be noticing the clicking sound when i am taking sharp corners, or is a sign of a worn joint a click when i shift, accelerate hard or hit a bump? or like i said earlier am i assuming it is the CV joint when it may be something different?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

did you replace the stablizer links it may be that to, that is what mine was
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
mattster

Post by mattster »

Lazzyie! thanks for the post. were you experiencing the same click as earlier described? im looking at my chiltons manuel here and wondering if you meant stabilizer bar or stabilizer control link. could you give me a little more info on this part. from the picture the stabilizer bar is a long twisted piece of rod while the control link is a small piece comes out from one end of the bar and connects to crossmember.<P>thanks again for the fresh idea i know my question is somewhat difficult to answer but any help whatsoever would be great.

^link to my V8 swap page
closer

Post by closer »

is the clicking only when you are making slow tursn?... I get a clicking when I am turning right, and the sound is from the front left... mechanic thinks its my left front axle but said it would have to get much worse before he could determine exactly where he problem was~!... don't know if that means I'm going to drop a front end first or not!... It's been that way for about 2 months now... no worse than when it first started...
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mattster:<BR>[QB] control link is a small piece comes out from one end of the bar and connects to crossmember.QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>That is the end link. I dont know what the clicking noise is.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”