what are the advantages and disadvantes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MI-Archangel

what are the advantages and disadvantes

Post by MI-Archangel »

of taking out the catalaic converter also what is the best size for cat back exhasut tubeing
manitobamx3

Re: what are the advantages and disadvantes

Post by manitobamx3 »

what engine do you got k8?
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MMike:<BR><STRONG>of taking out the catalaic converter also what is the best size for cat back exhasut tubeing</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Advantage: Get more flow cpability<BR>Disadvantage: Harder to pass emissions
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
MI-Archangel

Post by MI-Archangel »

ok but how much will i get ooutta cat back and what size piping should i get?
thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

if you have the stock k8 engine then go with 2.25" piping. or if your planning on getting a swap (or already have one) you should probably get 2.5" piping (kl-de / kl-ze.) as for power.. that depends on what you have already done. with just the cat-back you might get like 5 hp. with no Cat. youll get more for sure. how much more i have no idea. youll have to ask someone who knows more about the subject.<P><BR>frank
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
jeroentje_nl

Post by jeroentje_nl »

Is the 2.25 or 2.5 inch on the inside or outside ?

Post by Guest »

uhhhh Im pretty sure its illegal? is it not? is it worth the fines for a bit better flow?
pelado

Post by pelado »

You'll get at least 75 HP.<P><BR>Nobody knows for sure unless you do a before and after test on a dyno. And no one wants to blow their money on a test as trivial as this. It might be 15 HP but it also might be as little as 3 HP. It's just a guess, you'll gain some but no one knows for certain how much.<P>Just like with air filters/intake systems. Someone asks, "How much will I gain if I put Brand X intake on?" Sheesh! No one knows and you better take the manufacturer's claims with a huge grain of salt. <P>You can't add HP gains either. Some might think, "I gained 5 HP with my catback, 10 HP when I added my intake, so I must be making 15 HP over stock!" Wrongem boyo. The combination of the two may be good for only 11 HP over stock, maybe 6 HP. Like I said before, only before and after dyno tests will tell the truth. Even drag strip times may not be an accurate indicator. You may just be getting better at driving with more practice.<P>No one can stop people from asking questions like, "How much can I gain from this?". I'm just saying the question is moot.<P>I'm not even going to attempt to answer the question about the proper size of exhaust piping since this has been beaten to a pulp and plenty of debates about this can be found with a search. Did I say SEARCH? Excuse me for using that term. It's usage is deemed politically incorrect amongst some members of this board. If you do search you'll find that the answer is 2.25" or 2.5", depending on whose argument you like best.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG>You'll get at least 75 HP.<BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Man i was beginning to question your credibility on that one :D
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
MI-Archangel

Post by MI-Archangel »

search doesnt work for me it neevr stops searching and btw i dont wanna hear u ***** if u dont have anwser then DONT POST RETARD!
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

the reason it never stops searching is you are searching topics that have so much information. Searching seems likea long process, but in comparison to waiting for someone to reply it seems like a wiser option... especially on broad topics such as this
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

if you choose to search only the forum you're posting in, it should work fine. otherwise, be patient, cuz it will reload the page once for each forum.
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MMike:<BR><STRONG>search doesnt work for me it neevr stops searching and btw i dont wanna hear u ***** if u dont have anwser then DONT POST RETARD!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I did give you an answer and I think the question of who's the retard here has just been answered. :p
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
davidosk024

Post by davidosk024 »

NORMALLY<P>If you mashout the catalytic converter or take it out you run the risk of emissions tests not being passed. I know you can buy bits that you can pass emmissions tests with that you stick in the muffler when its testing time and you will pass. <P>Umm as for powergains, from what ive seen here the lowest i saw was 7hp gain from 2in piping and the highest ive seen was 13HP gain. <P>Basically it wont hurt to do it unless its to big :)<P>...... that sounded freudian in a gay way .... DOH!!
In
Eunos 30x, v6
KL-ZE, 2.5in exhaust, K&N intake
Unichip, LSD, 13lb flywheel, ACT2 clutch, NGK iridium Plugs, Top Gun Leads...<p>Goin In
Cams, Headers, TB, Extractors,
Bored to 2.8, Mazdaspeed Struts, Mazdaspeed strut tops,
Mazdaspeed swaybars, Eibach springs, Cusco Adj. Strut tops, Body kit, Altezza lights, Short shifter, Crossdrilled rotors and Calipers from AP racing, Braided brake lines, Braided clutch line, Mazdaspeed steering wheel, Mazdaspeed Leather shift knob,
bugz

Post by bugz »

it all depends on what u want, the bigger u go the more it changes ur power curve, the less back pressure u have on ur valves, the more top end power ur going to have. the more back pressure the more power youll have in lower an mid rpm range. i went with 2.5 from the cat back an my acual power doesnt kick in till 4ooo rpm's
92GS.KLze 2.5 ,CT26 TURBO,40K MILES,Ram air intake,2.5 cat back,coming.pullys,cams,Pistons,
valves & springs,venom injectors.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”