Distributor????

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Cacho

Distributor????

Post by Cacho »

Whats the difference between Klze and KL distributor besides the internal coil? Is the module the same? Wiring? Need to know????
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Distributor????

Post by Custommx3 »

If the KL is anything like the k8, the firing order on the disty is completley different than that on a ZE.
Cacho

Post by Cacho »

Sorry. Can you elaborate on that. So your saying both distributors have different firing order or different modules????
Jspec

Post by Jspec »

so if i went out and got a 95 milennia disty for my kl-ze then could that be the reason why my car is not wanting to go past 5500 rpms when the engine is warm and when its cold it doesnt want to go past 3000 rpm's?
Live your life a quarter mile at a time!! Payback is a mother!!
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custommx3:<BR><STRONG>If the KL is anything like the k8, the firing order on the disty is completley different than that on a ZE.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I respectfully disagree with your moderatorship. I'm not sure exactly what you meant to say but the firing order on a K8 and a KL is the same (1-2-3-4-5-6). <P> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG><P>I respectfully disagree with your moderatorship. I'm not sure exactly what you meant to say but the firing order on a K8 and a KL is the same (1-2-3-4-5-6). <P> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>re-read my post.<P>If the KL is anything like the k8, the firing order on the disty is completley different than that on a ZE.<P>I'll rephrase that for you. IF the KL and the K* are similar, they are not the same as a ZE.<BR>The ZE disty has a completley different firing order than that of a K8. This I am 100% sure of. I have one sitting in my garage.
pelado

Post by pelado »

That's somewhat of a mystery to me as to why a ZE would have a different firing order.<P>There are only two reasons I can think of that would cause two virtually identical engines to need different firing orders. Either the cam timing is completely different or the crankshaft is different. Neither is the case with the DE and ZE variations.<P>If I can use a KLDE ECU with a KLZE or KLZE cams in a KLDE with no problems, then the disty timing is the same.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
dylanmx3

Post by dylanmx3 »

Custommx3...any thoughts on why the firing order would be different? I'm doing a swap this winter and I was told that my 1.8 distributor would work in the probe 2.5...also, since I was looking to do an MSD swap I should keep an eye out for a KLZE distributor because it made the swap easier. I would be surprised that the firing order was different because it would not only mean that the cam/crank was compleately different but it would also change the engine's vibration modes which are highly sensitive to that sort of change (ie you wouldn't get that extemely smooth running engine that you have with the 1.8). Let me know what you find out.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Dylan
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Not really sure why, but the ZE disy has hookups for an external coil. Its weird seeing the 1.8L disty pn a ZE, the wires dont look correct because they arent lined up because of the firing order.
dylanmx3

Post by dylanmx3 »

I just took my previously crapped out distributor apart. Looking at the cap the firing order would appear to be 123645...going in order counter-clockwise. However if I look in one manual that I have it shows the cap to be numbered differently 123546. In both cases the firing order is still 123456...the distributor caps are just wired wierd. If you look inside the cap you'll see the raised sections going from where the plug wire attaches to the contact where the rotor makes contact. I suspect that the KL-ZE rotor is wired the same sorta way. It isn't like the old Ford, GM and Mopar distributor where what you see is what you got!<BR>Thoughts?<BR>Dylan
Cacho

Post by Cacho »

I completely DISAGREE with your moderatorship Mr CUSTOMMX3. You need to go back to school. What are you trying to do confuse all of us whos thinking is the same. "If K8 is anything like the KL the firing order on the ZE is different." I dont know where you got your info from but I just proved you wrong. I had just installed my ZE disty and im still using the same firing order the only thing that is different is where number 3 and 4 is and wiring connector that can be easily be bought at a auto recycling place.<P>No Offense. I just wanted to know if it could be done. Use the ZE Disty..<BR>Its been Done!!!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”