Manual Tranny "Beef Up"

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
VizualXTC

Manual Tranny "Beef Up"

Post by VizualXTC »

I was thinking about making my manual tranmission capable of holding more than the 350HP that I was told [by many sources] was it's max. I was told that shot-piening, and heat treating the gears will do this. I was also told to replace the old bushings with bronze bushings. I know there is no way to gauge what kind of HP this treatment would allow, but is there any way of making an educated guess? Any help would be great.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
David Coleman

Re: Manual Tranny "Beef Up"

Post by David Coleman »

The accurate way to know would be to get a degree in mechanical engineering, with a specialization in power transfer stuff. And where are there bushings in the tranny? Shot peening and heat treating the gears [they're heat treated from the factory...] will surface harden them, but it's still not going to greatly aid the total tensile yield strength of the gear teeth. But if you can figure out how to get 350whp, I'll gladly build a gearbox that will hold it for ya. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG>The accurate way to know would be to get a degree in mechanical engineering, with a specialization in power transfer stuff. And where are there bushings in the tranny? Shot peening and heat treating the gears [they're heat treated from the factory...] will surface harden them, but it's still not going to greatly aid the total tensile yield strength of the gear teeth. But if you can figure out how to get 350whp, I'll gladly build a gearbox that will hold it for ya. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, I know nothing about transmissions. That is why I explained I was TOLD everything I posted. Thanks for the information tho. Is there anything you can give me to point me in the right direction on building a stronger tranny?
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
93mx3gs

Post by 93mx3gs »

<A HREF="http://www.quaife.co.uk" TARGET=_blank>www.quaife.co.uk</A>
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

You could cryo treat all gears, input and output shafts, Quaife LSD, custom axles.<P>Does cryo treating work with aluminum alloys?
maldo

Post by maldo »

Cryo treating is your best bet. This, and shot peening, in combination seems to really help the GTX transmission last longer. Not much else besides new custom guts.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>Not much else besides new custom guts.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I figured that would be my best option. Wish there was a less expensive way, but this aint a cheap hobby. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”