i wanna build custom intake some help plz

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MI-Archangel

i wanna build custom intake some help plz

Post by MI-Archangel »

ok im think a numebr of things<P>1) create heat shiled out of fiberglass and only let cold air in<P>2)wire some kind of fan right beside the filter and blow air in<P>3)combine the both maybe build box with fan blowing in<P>any idieas or help on how to do this or tell me if it works thanks
ProtegeSTS

Re: i wanna build custom intake some help plz

Post by ProtegeSTS »

the fan idea wont work, so dont waste your time.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

If I weren't so preoccupied with the crap in my life I'd finish that damn Cold Air Box I was talking about. I feel guilty for not getting it done right away but I put it off and then everything went bad. Sorry guys. This weekend is going to be one large project.
Cacho

Post by Cacho »

Vent your hood or put some kind of hood scoop<BR>with an opening for the cold air to get in and mount your filter besides the opening..<BR>Just sharing my thoughts!!!!
viocurse

Post by viocurse »

yeah! just hacksaw an opening right in the middle of your hood and get some "U" PVC pipe and turn the intake around back towards the top center of the motor and a flat K&N filter and some sort of rectangle airbox and mount the filter on top of it. ram air!!! woohoo!
Cam
Teal 1992 MX-3 5-spd
:1.8liters of V6 fury, 2 shiny tips:
:for sale:
MazdaSpeed?
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Actually, I can't remember the company sorry, made a ram-air hood for the MX-3 based off of the Trans-Am hood scoop. I had hoped to get one of these hoods in the future and make a sort-of collector that the hood would rest on when pinned down and would pipe air to the intake. The piping itself would be a problem because of sharp turns but its very possible. (heh, just as I was typing this I figured out how to make it all work)
MI-Archangel

Post by MI-Archangel »

well thanks all but with all respect id like to not cut holes in my hood i was thinking maybe some1 would have a less barbaric approach lol but everyones opinion matters so can every1 add their thoughts thanks
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

try fabrcating an aluminum sort of upside down "L" to mount to the sensor/tb and place the cone air filter as close to the rush of cold air under the car as possible.
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'94 Caprice - rolling fast and low on 20's along with some custom goodies

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

'92 - New import project in the works, should be out in '09
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

just make a cold air box like you suggested. Then if you go to a hardware store they have flexible aluminum tubing. Cut a hole in the bumper and route the tubing from the hole to the air box. If you still don't want to cut your bumper, just mount the tube in the hole for the radiator. Just paint it black and mount it as far to the right as you can.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
RedSkittle

Post by RedSkittle »

this is way too easy, i built an intake for 30 bucks including a cone filter with a heat shield. pvc, some rubber connecters, a cone filter. some L brackets to bolt your mas in place and some sheet metal with some tape gasket. i did in an hour and it doesnt look 1/2 bad. not to mention it sounds great!
Cops can't touch this!
MI-Archangel

Post by MI-Archangel »

how u build it and what u do
Sparky75

Post by Sparky75 »

how do you get around the AFM ??
My MX-3 (Presso Eunos) 93 spec Right hand drive.<BR>Mods..<BR>Sullivan racing Alluminium Race Pedals.<BR>17x7" MB Molini Alloys with 215/40/17 tyres.<BR>Glass headlight/one smashed :(<BR>PRM Intake Kit.<BR>Front Strut Brace.<BR>Erebuni Bodykit & GTR Rear Spoiler on the way.
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

you dont get around the vaf you keep it where it was and use pvc piping/conectors too make the filter stick out just pass the heat shield.
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
treckrtj

Post by treckrtj »

Hey I'm lookin at this cheap home-made system idea. Looks great!! My factory intake box is busted and I don't wanna spend the $300+ to replace the whole thing. Why not make one like you are discussing for $30 and get more air into my engine? So just give me some more detailed info on how to do this thing. I get the PVC rubber gasket to the cone filter. Where do the "L"brackets fit in? And where do I shove this heat sheild, and why do I need one if the factory plastic box hasn't melted or anything? I guess I sound like a moron, but give me some help if you can. Thanks!
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Its all in the FAQ forum, set it so that you can view all posts and there will be one about making your own intake and piping.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”