R12 or R134a refrigerant?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
voltaire

R12 or R134a refrigerant?

Post by voltaire »

What year did they switch from R12 to R134a refrigerant? Or better yet, which one would be found in my '93 GS?<P>I tried the online shop manual but it's from 1995. A forum search wasn't too successful either.<P>Has anybody ever recharged their refrigerant themselves? Any hands-on tips or pointers would be much appreciated.<P>Thanks
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: R12 or R134a refrigerant?

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by voltaire:<BR><STRONG>What year did they switch from R12 to R134a refrigerant? Or better yet, which one would be found in my '93 GS?<P>I tried the online shop manual but it's from 1995. A forum search wasn't too successful either.<P>Has anybody ever recharged their refrigerant themselves? Any hands-on tips or pointers would be much appreciated.<P>Thanks</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> They started switching cars around 93-94. I would prolly say that you have R134. That is just fine. People cannot tell the difference in which refrigerant their car has. R12 is about 3 degrees cooler than R12. It is also more than twice the price of R134. If you don't have R134 it is a bear to change over. You have to replace all the O-rings in the system, the compressor, drier, and possibly some of the pressure switches. Stick with whatever you have. Unless you have to replace the compressor. The I would swap. The R12 compressor is more than the other anyway..I used to manage an auto supply store in Cali.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjthor:<BR><STRONG><P> They started switching cars around 93-94. I would prolly say that you have R134. That is just fine. People cannot tell the difference in which refrigerant their car has. R12 is about 3 degrees cooler than R12. It is also more than twice the price of R134. If you don't have R134 it is a bear to change over. You have to replace all the O-rings in the system, the compressor, drier, and possibly some of the pressure switches. Stick with whatever you have. Unless you have to replace the compressor. The I would swap. The R12 compressor is more than the other anyway..I used to manage an auto supply store in Cali.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>c'mon Jarid. If you worked at an auto supply store, then you should know that you can convert from r12 to r134a. Although you can only charge it to 80% refrigerant (it will tell you in the retrofit instructions. ALSO you CAN tell the difference. Just look under the hood. On the left (passenger) side of the hood there will be stickers. It will tell you what refrigerant is in your car. I have a 94 and I have r134a.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>c'mon Jarid. If you worked at an auto supply store, then you should know that you can convert from r12 to r134a. Although you can only charge it to 80% refrigerant (it will tell you in the retrofit instructions. ALSO you CAN tell the difference. Just look under the hood. On the left (passenger) side of the hood there will be stickers. It will tell you what refrigerant is in your car. I have a 94 and I have r134a.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> Well Ryan as we just spoke...There is a cheap way and the right way..You can try to just change the outer O rings and dump some oil in there. Hopefully the seals on the inside of the compressor dont leak and cause more damage than its worth. When the changeover is done correctly you will have about a four to six degree difference between the two systems. Its a lil more expensive to do it right but you can definately tell the difference between the two ways of doing things.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjthor:<BR><STRONG><BR> Well Ryan as we just spoke...There is a cheap way and the right way..You can try to just change the outer O rings and dump some oil in there. Hopefully the seals on the inside of the compressor dont leak and cause more damage than its worth. When the changeover is done correctly you will have about a four to six degree difference between the two systems. Its a lil more expensive to do it right but you can definately tell the difference between the two ways of doing things.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>AND as I told YOU. I have had it done. Never had any problems. It may not be as cold, but it's good enough. See, most of us don't have cash on hand to just throw at a car. NOW! If you don't shut up I will have to come kick your a-- bro. hahaha. Just kidding. Just tell him that it's kewl like a good little girl, and go to bed. :)
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

nope nope nope..Aint gonna do it. He already has 134 ;)
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Ok homeboy. we're takin this one outside. I'm sure he has 134a, but this has become a war of principals. You know I'm right. You just are too scared to admit it. I see. Don't worry. We all know now. Too bad you can't admit it. <P>POST CLOSED! :p
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
andy

Post by andy »

You guys crack me up :D <BR>My 93 GS (unsure of the exact manufacture date)definatly has R12.<BR>Andy P. 93 GS
pelado

Post by pelado »

My 93 also had R-12, swapped to R-134 with a $34 kit from WallyWorld, no problems in two years.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

If you want to avoid converting and stick with R12. There are some old refrigeration mechanics around that still keep an illegal stash of it. I know a few people but they are out here in Calgary but I'm sure there are some people where you are.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

in canada all cars came with 134 from 1994 and up. and the mx3 had r-12 from 93 and down.<P>I dont know what the laws were in the us back then so I would guess that you have r-12, if you look on the fire wall you should see an aluminium tube with a small round window in it. if it has the glass its r-12, no glass r-134a.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by curtklze:<BR><STRONG>in canada all cars came with 134 from 1994 and up. and the mx3 had r-12 from 93 and down.<P>I dont know what the laws were in the us back then so I would guess that you have r-12, if you look on the fire wall you should see an aluminium tube with a small round window in it. if it has the glass its r-12, no glass r-134a.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not true, I have a sight glass on my refrigerant line and I have 134a refregerant. Like I said before. look at the info on the under side of the hood. It will tell you what you need to know. (BTW, that is the easietsy way too [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] )
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”