ABS

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Panther

ABS

Post by Panther »

Pretty new member to this community and I am well impresses. I have a V6 and I am having problems with the ABS. It has been into the dealer and the problem seems to be with the ABS motor relay or the motor. They wanted a ridiculous price to solve the problem..well over £1000. The relay has been tested and has been found to be ok. So it looks as if it is the motor. Couple of questions. Where is the abs motor and how difficult is it to actually change the things. I can't seem to find anything on the subject in the manual. Please help. :confused:
voltaire

Re: ABS

Post by voltaire »

I don't know much about ABS and even less about what it would cost to fix. But you can check the Online Shop Manual in the Technical Info section of this site.<P>Pages P-48 through P-77 is the ABS section.<P>P-69 through P-71 detail the hydraulic unit, which I believe is what you are refering to.<P>Maybe someone knows a way to safely disable ABS. If I had to pay that much, I would seriously consider that option. In my opinion, ABS isn't necessary in a light car.

Post by Guest »

you know what, what kind of problem is it? be descriptive and im sure one of the car experts on this forum will lend a helping hand, cause it could be something alot cheaper, ya never know, because unless your doing alot of emergency stopping i dont see why your abs would be having probs, let alone you noticing them.
pelado

Post by pelado »

Like Voltaire said, the online shop manual (http://www.mx-3.com, see left column) is a good source, see page P-071. From the front of the car, look over to the right under the battery for what appears to be a big block of stainless steel with a round thing out of the back of it. That's the motor.<P>Bad news, if it is the motor, then it is not cheap. I would definitely recommend letting the dealer service this if you decide to fix it. You can always pull the plug on your ABS, though, and let it function like a regular brake system. Just learn to ignore the ABS light!<p>[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: pelado ]
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Panther

Post by Panther »

Thanks guys. The problem is Surshiit is that the light stays permenantly on apart from when reversing then it goes off. The electrics, the relay and the ABS control module have all been checked. I agree that the car functions perfectly well without the ABS just the light is annoying. The big thing is though that this problem will fail an MOT test.
pelado

Post by pelado »

[img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] What's an MOT test?
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
back alley

Post by back alley »

a small piece of duct tape will solve the annoying light problem.
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Pelado<P>I believe MOT stands for Ministry Of Transportation. and getting a passing grade refers to a safety certification. <P>We have to do the same here in Canada. Every car that is purchased has to be inspected by a certified mechanic, before plates are issued. <P>I'm thinking the ABS issue is critical in the UK.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Yeah Christopher. If the light is illuminated on the dashboard then it will fail an MOT. If the light is not then it will pass even though the ABS is not functioning properly.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”