putting on a spoiler??

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Wagner359

putting on a spoiler??

Post by Wagner359 »

hey i have a 92 mx-3 rs , and i will be putting on a gs oem spoiler within a few weeks and i want to know how do i put it on? do i just take the spoiler piece itself and screwn through it onto my back hatch piece or what???
R I P ****
92 MX-3 RS H&R springs K&N filter Protege cold air intake premier mp3 HU Kicker RS6 component speakers kicker eclipse pa5422 4 ch. on speakers. profile amp on JL 15w3 3 ft box ported tuned to 28 hz. rota c8s black with a polished chrome lip and a fresh new black paint job.
quinn_seipp

Re: putting on a spoiler??

Post by quinn_seipp »

no its a complete replacement
you take off some body panels off the hatch underneath and there are bolts
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)
LabradorBoy

Post by LabradorBoy »

You're going to have to take the entire U-shaped plastic part that lines the rear hatch area around the rear glass, you'll have to pop a bunch of hidden pins to get that out but it's really tough, so pry away.<p>Then you'll have to pop off the housing over the rear wiper/tail lamp area<p>At this point you should be able to see the 4 or 6 fasteners that hold your hatch garnish to the rear hatch itself. Remove these and the hatch garnish should pop right out.<p>Now you reinstall your GS spoiler, it will be secured using the same fasteners at the rear. If it's a US version, you're done, but if your GS spoiler is a wrap-around Canadian version, you'll have to drill two holes (one per side) to hold the spoiler's forward-reaching "arms" in place. It's easy, just make sure you do it once the rear has already been secured.<p>If you do not have a gasket to seal the forward surface of the spoiler between the glass and the spoiler, put a liberal bead of silicone sealant in there, otherwise the sucker will leak.<p>Have fun! I may have a missed a step or two in there since it was two years ago when I did that, but that should be pretty close.<p>-Rob
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I just put a GS spoiler on my 93 RS. I actually used my wire cutters to get the fasteners out, very easy for me, they just popped out. Yeah, you have to take all the panels off from under the hatch. It's actually very simple to do, I don't think you'll have a problem.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”