klze gas mileage

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Jspec

klze gas mileage

Post by Jspec »

i finally have my kl-ze runnin somewhat smooth. but i i have noticed since i have been drivin it more that my gas mileage is pretty crappy. i havent tried finding out how many gallons im gettin per mile. but just my everyday driving it seems that my gas mileage is pretty bad. has anyone noticed the same thing? im assuming that the gas mileage would be somewhat around a kl-03 not like a big block v-8. believe me i have had both types of cars so i can tell the gas mileage diff between the 2. if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. thanx!
Live your life a quarter mile at a time!! Payback is a mother!!
lazzyie

Re: klze gas mileage

Post by lazzyie »

get about 24 street/ 30-32 freeway
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

Ok, I just have to post on this thread. This has really been bothering me (mostly my wallet) for a long time now. I did the KL-ZE swap back in March of 2002 and ever since I have been getting 16-17 MPG in town and 20-22 on the freeway. I LOVE my kl-ze. It is always good to me, but when it comes mileage it SUCKS! :mad: I don't really blame the motor though, I blame myself for not finding a way to fix the problem. I just don't know what it could be. I checked my plugs and they look pretty good, not overly dark. They are gapped correctly and everything. My timing appears to be correct. I am using the 1.8 ECU. I want to blame the ECU because I have heard rumors that the 1.8 ECU makes the KL-ZE run really rich. I know I was reading a post from a little while back and David was telling everyone his car was running really rich right after he got his ZE in but I don't remember what he said was causing that. I am currently using the 1.8 VAF but I feel this is a good thing since it is the SAME EXACT VAF that the ZE uses when it's in Japanese cars. I should probably mention that since my car was purchased at an insurance auction in 95, I do not know who the previous owner was but they took the ECU to "Dinan Performace" and had it modified in some way. There is a piece of paper taped on the ecu with a # and everything showing proof of modification. I will try and post a pic. Since it is a modified ECU this kinda changes things and this is probably what is to blame but if you guys have any immediate suggestions, I would appreciate them. In the mean time I would like to find a reasonably priced true ZE ECU and try to tune the car with the proper ECU before I plauge you guys with "help me" questions. Anyway, anybody got any thoughts and opinions? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

You know, it might not be a bad idea to get a new ecu... Who knows what he had that tuned for. Pick one up from a wreckers from a k8 engine for cheap maybe... 20-22 on the highway is just ridiculous! I mean this is not a jaguar??!!
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I've gotten about 20-24 highway, and this first tank of city driving looks to be in the mid teens. I did recently disconnect my FPR vac line, which makes it run richer. My plugs indicate either a smidge of detonation, which makes me think either lean, or too low anti knock index fuel. I'll try a mix of 100 leaded with the next tank to see how she likes it...
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Jspec

Post by Jspec »

thanx for your info guys. i guess i will have to wait to get a peoperly tuned ze ecu before i start banging my head into the walls. anyways what is a FPR vac line?
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR>[QBI'll try a mix of 100 leaded with the next tank to see how she likes it...[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>leaded gas will kill your converter and the O2 sensor if used more than a coupple times.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

well, the first mpg numbers are in...<P>21...<BR>21mpg...<BR>!!!!<P>Oh well thats mostly city driving, and seeing as I just got my car back with the KLZE and clutch, I've been driving very "spirited" :)
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

killerpickle: What ECU/VAF combo are you using?
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

Okay,<P>I was dumb and didn't ask what vaf he installed but I know for sure its the 2.5 ecu from an mx-6, and common sense would say that its also the 2.5 vaf, because I heard that you cant use the 1.8 vaf with the 2.5 ecu.
Tom Alexander
Jspec

Post by Jspec »

ok my tank is about empty now. i got 162 miles out of a full tank. that is pretty crappy. i am running an american spec 2.5 L ecu with my k8 vaf. i have went through and redid all my vacuum lines along with adding a ractive air filter. i have also tried resetting my tps. but im still getting a check engine light now constantly but it goes away when i rev the motor past like 3 or 4 g. then it comes right back. my guess is its my egr valve again. also i can tell my car is running way rich. i can smell it. i also put the fuel injectors from the straight neck intake manifold that came with my klze on my 1.8 L intake manifold.
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

I don't mean to sound like a prick but.... <P>I know Dave has the 4.11 gears but for the rest of you wouldn't the 4.38 gears have something to do with the crappy gas mileage? You figure the 1.8L does about 20/25 city/highway with the 4.38 ratio, and that it should go down with the 2.5L in its place. <P>Thats just my point of view, but I could be wrong. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

Hey,<BR>The mx3 GS with its 1.8 gets on average for me 28-30 mpg easy, and thats spirited driving 75/25 highway/city. Im sure if I drove it properly..whatever that means I would get 32 easy. I believe thats right around the factory specs. 27 or something city and 32 highway though I dont remember exactly. <P>I expected about 24-25 on the KLZE and hope to still get that one day :)
Tom Alexander
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

I think i remember seeing the official specs somewhere for 20/25 mpg. I usually get about 25-28 mpg on the highway, and about 20-3 mpg driving around town. Thats somewhat *spirited* driving.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

I have a 1.8 and im only getting 22 mpg doing highway driving, somewhat sprinted. all i have done so far is intake and exhaust. could an egr sticking be part of the problem ? how can i get more mpg?
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'94 Caprice - rolling fast and low on 20's along with some custom goodies

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

'92 - New import project in the works, should be out in '09

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”