Serious loss of power!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Quazi5

Serious loss of power!

Post by Quazi5 »

2 days ago my baby was fine. Ran great, idled fine and accelerated when I needed her to for that quick pass on the left. Today she has a rough idle or 300 to 500 rpms where it should be around 800 to 1200. I went to work this morning and the cold engine was idling fine or seemed to be. Later this afternoon I jumped into her to drive to my second job and then it set in. The idle was extremely low, so low in fact that she started to skip on piston firing. I tapped the gas and she quit. Checked the fluids, wires, air-filter, and all the other stuff that I could without a set of tools. Nothing looked wrong but when I got a closer look, I noticed that the filter housing isn't making a seal and that the air filter isn't doing anything, the intake is just pulling in unfiltered air. So I did what could, which isn’t much of anything because the battery is in the way. :O Moving on… as I was driving to work the engine felt like only half the cylinders were firing and I couldn't get the speed above 45 or 50. She felt like she was putting…. I literally felt the engine struggling to push the car. HELP!!! I need to know if it was just a bad tank of gas or if there is something wrong somewhere besides the obvious open air-filter housing. :( Could it be that my catalytic converter is going, or even gone for that fact. I’m taking her to the shop tomorrow and having the normal tune up done and also having her put on the diagnostic machine. I wanted to know if anyone could tell me what could be wrong and price to fix it. Thanks and Happy Driving. I hope I can do the same soon. :(
Blake Gibson<BR>'93 Black MX-3 GS<BR>Anyday is a good day if I'm in my MX-3.
voltaire

Re: Serious loss of power!

Post by voltaire »

Sounds like an electrical problem to me based on limited info.<P>Steps: If the first does work do the next<P>1) Replace spark plug wires <BR>2) Replace spark plugs<BR>3) Replace dist. cap and rotor<P>Also, get the airfilter housing fixed!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”