V6 to GTR engine swap?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
richocet1

V6 to GTR engine swap?

Post by richocet1 »

I want to swap to the 1.8L T4cyl (BPturbo) w/approx 210 HP (from GTR, and Corksport said I would have to change just about everything under the hood? Could someone help me out with this. What needs to be changed exactly? And, myth or fact, 4 cylinders perform and rev faster that 6 cyl?
You still can't touch my car!!!
VizualXTC

Re: V6 to GTR engine swap?

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by richocet1:<BR><STRONG>I want to swap to the 1.8L T4cyl (BPturbo) w/approx 210 HP (from GTR, and Corksport said I would have to change just about everything under the hood? Could someone help me out with this. What needs to be changed exactly? And, myth or fact, 4 cylinders perform and rev faster that 6 cyl?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know very little about this swap, but I have heard that it's safer to run high HP on the 4cyl because of the block charicteristics. Although I do know that the KLZE turbo can handle over 300BHP with ~8psi boost (at sea level). Unless you're going full drag, I think 250-300BHP is about all you need isn't it? I do know how you feel. Wanting the most out of your car. But then again, I think that a KL engine with internals that can handle more boost will still be cheaper than a V6-I4 swap. I don't know if you have read my other post, but I can get KLZE's for $850. I need 15 people and I already have 9-10 people so far.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

also, finding a gt-r motor is next to impossible. and when you do, you still have to find a way to get it over here. corksport doesn't sell them anymore(need to update the site). so you'll be getting the 180-185hp version. still, a nice motor. but if you don't have a parts car to get your parts from, you're better off getting a better v6. my .02.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
richocet1

Post by richocet1 »

I already contacted Corksport and they do still sell the 210 hp turbo. I also found a guy parting off a 323 GTX, which the car came from. That is why I am asking what I need. I can get them all from him.
Smokin mx-3

Post by Smokin mx-3 »

get everything in the engine compartment even the wiring harness including the one under the dash
Smokin mx-3

Post by Smokin mx-3 »

get everything for the rad, buy protege lx tranny and alxes, get the I4 wiring harness for the engine and the harness under the dash then u are going to need the other things a I4 to I4 turbo swap would need do a search
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

What is your goal for this car? Each engine has its certain good points and bad points, and its much easier to tell you which is better if we know what youre after.<P>For mild setups, going to a KL or KL-ZE and doing the normal bolt-ons and then some cams.<P>For more agressive, high power, drag racing applications, the 4 cylinder is a better choice, but youre really better off just selling your V6 and picking up a 4 cylinder, since the GS is worth more, and you could probably make a few hundred to a couple of thousand bucks, and have a car that wont need as much work done to it.<P>Just my opinion, but might as well start with the CORRECT platform.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG>What is your goal for this car? Each engine has its certain good points and bad points, and its much easier to tell you which is better if we know what youre after.<P>For mild setups, going to a KL or KL-ZE and doing the normal bolt-ons and then some cams.<P>For more agressive, high power, drag racing applications, the 4 cylinder is a better choice, but youre really better off just selling your V6 and picking up a 4 cylinder, since the GS is worth more, and you could probably make a few hundred to a couple of thousand bucks, and have a car that wont need as much work done to it.<P>Just my opinion, but might as well start with the CORRECT platform.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I would agree. Either get the KLZE, or get the RS. If you decide to go with the RS, you could take the extra bones you get from the deal, and put that toward the BPT swap.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
richocet1

Post by richocet1 »

I want to up the horse power on my car, but while improving the fuel efficiency. I also want a turbo, so I figured the BPT would be the best option. I am going to put in a custom exhaust, new intake, and cold air intake, and that would be a leaves me with a good amount of power. I didnt think of the KL-ZE because:<BR>1) Everyone on here has one!!!<BR>2) 4 cylinders rev faster and are better on gas<BR>3) I didnt want to have to go through all the trouble of a bolt on turbo with the KL-ZE.<P>I wasnt aware of all the work that would need to be done though. I can get all the parts, maybe for free from my mothers old 94 protege. But, I am wondering which is going to be the most cost effective. Plus, it is original. There probrably arent alot of GTR's out there.<P>I had the idea of buying a dismantled engine from a GTX, changing the mainfold and putting on a larger turbo. I would just need the front end of a protege after that right?
TopGun

Post by TopGun »

Running a 4 cylinder on boost (the BPT) is NOT going to be more efficient than the v6 1.8, or the 2.5<P>You have any idea how much air fuel mixture you're suckin' in while revvin' high and all boosted?<P>Don't even think for a second it'll be an econo box - also you'll be running on premium fuels. cdn, expect 75 cent plus per litre.
Speed Kills - Drive a honda, live forever...
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by richocet1:<BR><STRONG>I want to up the horse power on my car, but while improving the fuel efficiency. I also want a turbo, so I figured the BPT would be the best option. I am going to put in a custom exhaust, new intake, and cold air intake, and that would be a leaves me with a good amount of power. I didnt think of the KL-ZE because:<BR>1) Everyone on here has one!!!<BR>2) 4 cylinders rev faster and are better on gas<BR>3) I didnt want to have to go through all the trouble of a bolt on turbo with the KL-ZE.<P>I wasnt aware of all the work that would need to be done though. I can get all the parts, maybe for free from my mothers old 94 protege. But, I am wondering which is going to be the most cost effective. Plus, it is original. There probrably arent alot of GTR's out there.<P>I had the idea of buying a dismantled engine from a GTX, changing the mainfold and putting on a larger turbo. I would just need the front end of a protege after that right?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>KL's will rev nicer than a BP will. Simple Rod ratios...<P>More power= more fuel. If you can make power with out using fuel, please tell me, and I'm all ears. Granted, you can increase thermal effeciencies and reduce pumping losses and drivetrain losses, but that only goes so far, and generally doesn't work well with high strung boosted motors [UDP's and domed pistons that is].
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG><P>KL's will rev nicer than a BP will. Simple Rod ratios...<P></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>David, ive got a question...<P>Jason's 1.8L FS<BR>my 1.8L BP<P>Rod ratios are at least close...IIRC<P>Jason's is QUITE a bit faster revving off idle. Thoughts?
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

rotating mass?<BR>TB diameter?<BR>intake length/volume?<P>those all contribute to off idle response.
David Coleman
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Also plenum volume, valve-TB distance, exh diameter, valve size, timing, and cam profile
David Coleman
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

hahahahha....<P>then i guess its not just as simple as a KL will rev better than a BP, based simply off rod ratios, now it is?
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”