spark plugs

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
blaze1

spark plugs

Post by blaze1 »

What kind of spark plugs best suit the gs?
fIN
ProtegeSTS

Re: spark plugs

Post by ProtegeSTS »

nice, cheap NGK coppers.<P>Get the NGK platniums if you want them to last longer, but the coppers are cheaper in the long run.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

ngk's are good plugs get the platinum or the new iridium<---spelling......
Steve
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stevech_2001:<BR><STRONG>ngk's are good plugs get the platinum or the new iridium<---spelling......</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I dont see the point for the money....they wont give you any better performance.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

I just put on bosch platinum the 2 dollar ones and I definitely got back lost horsepwer, but I also did valve cover gasket and spark plug wires.
1993 Mazda mx-3 GS - Blaze Red (Totaled) Went through an 89 rx7 and a 93 del sol. Now searching again!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mxmisl
nolimits

Post by nolimits »

The plus 4 are really sweet but they are about 5.00 u.s a piece.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nolimits:<BR><STRONG>The plus 4 are really sweet but they are about 5.00 u.s a piece.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>5 dollars X 6 plugs = money wasted because of advertising.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Post by Guest »

TRY NOT TO USE PLATINUM SPARK PLUGS<BR>I ONCE USED BOSCH PLATINUM 4+ AND THE ENGINE JUST SHUT OFF AT HIGHER RPM AND THE CAR WILL ROLL FREELY TILL STOP.<BR>I AM NOT SURE THE THEORY BEHIND IT BUT I WAS TOLD BY MANY PEOPLE. (ANYBODY COULD EXPLAIN?)<P>I WOULD SAY JUST USE THE NORMAL NGK SPARK PLUGS
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P>I dont see the point for the money....they wont give you any better performance.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>NGK Plugs that fit the K8/KL:<BR>- Zfr7f11<BR>- Zfr6f11 <BR>- Bkr6e11 <BR> Image
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

There are also 5,6, & 7 heat range plugs in both series. 5 should be for stock cars, 6 for mildly modded cars [and ZE's], and 7 for the guys with forced induction.
David Coleman
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Crap, forgot to add that the ZFR's look like they'll make a bit more power, as they'll be closer to the center of the combustion chamber. Haven't picked up any yet, but I'll grab some for the new motor. Probably in 5 heat range if I can get away with no detonation. Hotter = more power [until you get detonation ;)]
David Coleman
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG>Crap, forgot to add that the ZFR's look like they'll make a bit more power, as they'll be closer to the center of the combustion chamber. Haven't picked up any yet, but I'll grab some for the new motor. Probably in 5 heat range if I can get away with no detonation. Hotter = more power [until you get detonation ;)]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>hotter doesnt equal more power...it just doesnt go bad as fast. Cold plugs on a stock engine will foul out too quickly.<P> :p
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P>hotter doesnt equal more power...it just doesnt go bad as fast. Cold plugs on a stock engine will foul out too quickly.<P> :p</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Clarification: more heat in the comubstion chamber has more potential to make power. Assuming you don't melt something. Which is why ceramic heads would be so cool. Got 20:1 CR and 50psi?
David Coleman
nicolasbeique

Post by nicolasbeique »

You want the air that goes in your engine to be as cold as possible but the engine itself (technicly) runs better the hotter it is. That is why the inside of F1 engine bays are covered with gold plates to reflect the heat back to the engine. That is also why they produce 800hp (and other reasons of course :D
<A HREF="http://www.spheregraphics.com/" TARGET=_blank>Image</A>

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”