transaxle ?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
doughboyZmx-3

transaxle ?

Post by doughboyZmx-3 »

im having a little trouble taking out the drive shafts out of the tranny, i need step by step instructions to take em out. thanks for any help you can give me.
curtklze

Re: transaxle ?

Post by curtklze »

If your doing this in your driveway, good luck :( .<P>1)loosen the large axle nuts(on the front of the rotors)<P>2)support the car on jack stands on the frame of the car(not the lower control arms)<P>3)Un-bolt the lower ball-joints from the lower control arm.(2 17mm nuts)<P>4)To remove the left side shaft you should use a long pry bar(3 of 4 feet long).<BR>place it between the shaft and the trans, and give it a good hard yank back towards the trans. The shaft should pop out, with a little work. If it don't, pull the batt. and batt. tray, put another pry bar between the shaft and trans from the top. Then you and your friend both pry at the same time(one from the top and one from the bottom.).<P>5)Un-bolt the three 14mm(9/16) bolts that hold the right side axle shaft extension bearing to the block.(under the car about half way between the trans and the strut assembley). Then the shaft and extension should slide right out of the trans.<P>P/S. befor you try to remove the axles from the trans, make sure you remove the front splined part from the rotor hub assembley.<BR>( thats why you removed the ball joints :roll: )
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
pelado

Re: transaxle ?

Post by pelado »

How you do it depends on what you're removing them FOR. If you're removing them to replace them, follow Curt's instructions. If you're removing them to do the engine swap, then you don't need to loosen the nut on the rotor, just pull out of the transmission - a pry bar may be necessary like Curt said.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”