Engine seems to be getting hot??????

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Bluebird

Engine seems to be getting hot??????

Post by Bluebird »

Any insight ot this one would be greatly appreciated. 1993 1.8 V6. Milage 75000.<BR>The engine seems ot be getting hot - it smells hot and there is powdering on th eunder-bonnet padding. The oil temp however isn't getting overly hot - in summer it runs at about 3/4 but it's getting up to between 1/2 and 3/4 at the moment. The valves are sounding more 'tappety' than usual on tickover, especially on start-up. <BR>I thought at first that it might be a water-pump/fan belt problem becuase ther is a very slight squeel on pulling off at higher than usual revs, changing into 2nd but apparently this might be a clutch problem that cars of this year have. So.....does it sound like the oil pump? Mixture? Something else? <P>MTIA
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Engine seems to be getting hot??????

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

did you do anything to check and see if it was the water pump. Thats probably it based on another post that said the same problems you have. If not, check your thermostat. It could be stuck.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

Hi - no. I've just had the plugs out though - one is COVERED in oil - valve guides, piston rings?
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

i'm sure thats just the valve cover gaskets that need to be replaced, nothing to do with the car overheating. Take it to the shop and have someone check your cooling system
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

Yeah - I think you're 100% right - they've gone on 2 of the cylinders - just quickly started her up and yes - it's the smell of hot oil. Problem sorted, almost. Fan belt's looking a bit worn so that's going to get replaced as well.<P>Thanks for teh help :)
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

We dont have a fan belt.<P>The valve cover gasket is most likely the source of the oil on the plugs. Cheap fix if you do it yourself. Expensive on the labor if you pay somebody to do it.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
T Biller

Post by T Biller »

Was the oil on the plug on the outside of the plug or on the part that goes in the combustion chamber? It seems odd that oil from a valve cover would get right inside the engine, if it is getting inside, I'd say you are looking at more serious problem. I had a different car once that blew a hole in a valve. All was normal cruising, then I suddenly lost power and the engine got hot, so I pulled over, could't see anything wrong, so carried on. The temp stayed down, but I was blowing blue and had real bad oil fouling on one plug. I'm guessing the oil seal got fried as well as the end of the valve. when I took the head off there was a pencil sized hole in one valve.
Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

From what I can tell it's the gasket - the spark plugs plug th ehole I think and then when you take them out it allows oil to run into the cylinder. Now burning oil which it wasn't before. So gasket it is. Slightly more tricky job becuase it's 2 of the rear cylinders but shouldn't be too bad.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”