Custom intake filter

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mattster

Custom intake filter

Post by mattster »

Ok guys what do you think. I will be making my own custom intake soon, and I have some questions. First, I think I will be making mine out of bending stainless steel piping, what size piping should be used? Second, what kind of filter should I use? I see that there are the cone type and the tube type used in the kind used on the PRM intake. Finally where is the best spot to bend the piping to get the freshest air?
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Custom intake filter

Post by wyldside »

Well, I am planning on doing the same thing. I have decided to go with 3" piping. I am going to change the front bumper to a Combat Style and then using one of the intakes on the lower driver side for fresh air. There is a somewhat hollow passage just in front of the driverside wheel well. Just bore out one of the holes that are there. I believe this should work. The only problem I see is that a lot of dirt can get to it during the winter so you may want to make it so that you can close it off during those months and still use the OEM intake. Good Luck.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”