V-TEC???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pcperez83

V-TEC???

Post by pcperez83 »

I was reading at mazda site the other day that mazda was the first company to invent, computer valve timing, very similar to Honda's V-TEC if so, what mazda cars actually use this "v-tec" and is it possible to adapt it onto an mx-3?
pelado

Re: V-TEC???

Post by pelado »

Unless you have a cylinder head designed to use "V-TEC", then you won't be able to adapt it without spending a small fortune in which case you might as well have swapped an NSX motor into your MX-3. And after you spent all that money you'll wonder why you didn't leave it in the NSX and have a better looking ride!!!<P>By the way, the serious Honda racers actually remove V-TEC since it is just dead weight if you race and spend all your time in the upper RPM band anyway. V-TEC systems were devised to use two different cam profiles in the same engine. One profile for everyday driving and a more radical profile for high revs. With V-TEC you get an engine that idles normally but still has a wild cam profile that'll make horsepower when you put your foot in it.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

Yeah i know all that, but what i wanna know is what Mazda vehicles uses mazda's version of "v-tec"?
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Mazda's version of "V-TEC" as you call it, is known as VRIS. <P>"VRIS stands for Variable Resonance Induction System. Many car manufacturers use this technology under different names but Mazda might be the one who pushed the technology the most (for the moment). The principle is quite easy to understand: to give the engine a long intake runner length at low rpm for optimal low-end torque and a shorter intake manifold length at high rpm to increase ram effect. If you prefer it's a VTEC for the intake... Basic systems usually supply each cylinder with a set of long and short intake runners and a valve dispatches the air between the two. Mazda engineers fine-tuned the V6's intake manifold to take advantages of resonance phenomenons. Using a pair of valves on the manifold and playing with a combination of opening and closing point they were able to extract more torque in the mid-rpm range...."<BR><A HREF="http://www.mx3gsr.freeservers.com/tech.htm" TARGET=_blank>I got that from here if you want more info</A><P>Mazda engines with VRIS: 1.8L v5, kl-03 2.5...i believe the old 323's have it too<p>[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Bri94GS ]
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG>Mazda's version of "V-TEC" as you call it, is known as VRIS. <P><BR>Mazda engines with VRIS: 1.8L v5, kl-03 2.5...i believe the old 323's have it too<P></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ok, there's alot of misinformation here.<BR>1) VRIS is for the intake manifold. VTEC is for the valvetrain. For what it's worth, ABS is for the wheels. All unrelated systems, though they're all mechanically connected [since they're in the same car]<BR>2) VRIS equipped cars were the MX-3 GS, Probe GT 93-97, MX-6 LS 93-97, 626 V6 93-current, Millenia 2.5L, Lantis/323F V6, Astina V6, Eunos 800, Eunos MS8, Eunos 30X.<BR>3) VICS was in some of the earlier F & B-series 4 cylinder cars. Entirely different from VRIS, in that it provided a larger runner cross section @ higher RPM for more power [long runners versus short runners]. <BR>4) VTEC uses rocker arms. VTEC has no hyphen in it. VTEC is oil pressure driven. VTEC is useless on race motors.<P><BR>Avoid misinformation: read.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

Dave iz rippin sh!t up!!!!!!!!!
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Dave, i was quoting the guy ahead of me..putting everything in simple riceboy terms for him ;) thanks for correcting my half a-- response though....u sure the 323 didnt use it? I thought i read somewhere that it did...<P>I swear if i see some1 driving down the street with a VRIS sticker on their car, im gonna smack them..lol so dont get any ideas! <BR> Image<p>[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Bri94GS ]
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Esper

Post by Esper »

dude...i gotta put a VRIS sticker on my car... :D ;)
Dude.
Coolzombi

Post by Coolzombi »

if you remove your stock air box you can see how work the VRIS system when you rev the trottle...!
Friends don't let friends drive stock.
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

sweet, sounds interesting
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

the vris system is in the manifold not the airbox. you wont see s--- by taking the air box off except for the afm move in and out. you can see the vris valves open and close just by poping the hood and playing with the throttle.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”