Engne Knocking????

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3weasel

Engne Knocking????

Post by mx3weasel »

i have a 94 mx3 gs with only 80,000km on it and it started making a knock when its warm, you cant really hear it when its on fast idle but when it warms up and goes down to around 600-1000rpm it makes a knocking noise. i heard that mazdas have a problem with the hydrolic lifters????? i dont really know, correct me if im wromg i guess, but does anyone have any idea on what it might be.<BR>thanks
<B>¤Wé§릤<P>95 Red GS V6 5-spd<BR>Stock for now.</B>
Rich MX3

Re: Engne Knocking????

Post by Rich MX3 »

What happened was the previous owner or yourself has been using the wrong octane for your car. Filling your tank with 87 octane can cause engine knocking. The MX-3 GS needs 91 octane. There must be a lot of buildup in the engine. Get it checked out.
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
Rorek

Post by Rorek »

A friend of mine had that start to happen on his car.. all it turned out to be was that the oil level was very very low. You might want to try checking that.. but then most people are check oil fairly often, so that may not be it.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich:<BR><STRONG>What happened was the previous owner or yourself has been using the wrong octane for your car. Filling your tank with 87 octane can cause engine knocking. The MX-3 GS needs 91 octane. There must be a lot of buildup in the engine. Get it checked out.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>What in the world are you talking about?<BR> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
J.W. MX-3 GS

Post by J.W. MX-3 GS »

hey i had the same problem with my car at about 96k and i was told you have to replace all of the hla's, which can get pretty expensive. but before you do, you might want to try a cheaper solution. The problem is that the tiny hole in the HLA that lets the oil in is blocked. So it gets suck down, and then you hear the valves ticking. So if you go down to Canadian Tire and buy a product call "STP engine flush"($12), and put it in the oil before you next change and it should clean out the hlas and slove the problem. i only notice the change 3 days after i did it though.
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>What in the world are you talking about?<BR> :D
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”