Gauge cluster

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Franko
Supporting Member

Gauge cluster

Post by Franko »

Yeah so I bought those wicked awesome cool great reverse glow gauges and the problem I am having is that I cant get the gauges to come out.. I took out the three screws in the top of the cluster but when I tried to take it out it would not let go at the bottom... the top would come out a couple of inches but the bottom holds true.. I didnt want to force it just incase I would hear that *snap* and then look at it to see that I broke something off.. (god knows it has happened) is there more screws or something somewhere? God someone help me.. I want to get thses gauges in more than anything. I wanted to try and get them out tomorow.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Re: Gauge cluster

Post by 2fazed »

This is an easy solution. It's your speedometer cable holding it back. There are 3 ways to do it. Either reach in on one of the sides and take it off. Go under the stirring wheel near the pedals and reach up and behind to pull the plug out. Or my way, which is the easiest of the 3. Go into your engine compartment. Look where your battery is. The cable runs near the top of it down under the engine. Your able to disconnect it there. You should be fine. Remember to be careful not to brake the needles while placing the gauges over, cause you can't fix them if they brake.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Juddd_83

Post by Juddd_83 »

take the two screws out from underneath the steering column on the left hand side, take off the top steering column peice. Now you will see a rubber flap, lift it up to see the last two screws, now it will come off easy after you disconnect the hazard and rear defroster cable. Now you are at the guage cluster. I got this far but couldn't get the damn thing out. Ive looked in my engine compartment but couldn't find the speedo cable to disconnect anywhere? Under the battery under the engine? How does it dissconnect?<p>Does it disconnect up by the battery or down by the engine?<p>And also what kind of lube can I use on the speedo cable when I actuallyt finally get it out? I boughy some 3in1 oil from canadian tire, is that ok to use?<p>[ March 07, 2003: Message edited by: Justin_83 ]</p>
---------------------------
Finally a fellow MX-3er!!!!
Euro Tails (Clear Lense)
OEM RS Spoiler
Indiglo Guages
5000V Blue Ground Effects
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

When I get to the point that I can put the new faces over what do I do with the gas and heat gauge? Can I just pull the needles off?
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

No, you can't take the needles off, they'll brake. The gauge slides over the needles, just need patients. You might have an electronic cluster, which doesn't have a speedometer cluster. If that's the case, there's only screws in the front of the cluster holding it in.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

I got so fed up with it I said "I am going out in the car now and I am not coming back in until the gauges are in." It possibly was the hardest thing that I have ever had to do... there was so much that I had to take apart and getting the cluster out was such a ***** I cant believe.. I would say a good 6 hours work just to get them in without wiring them.. I had to stop when I got them in last night.. and I finished hooking them up this morning.. What a pain though. when I had it all put back and was testing the gauges I started the car and it all seemed fine then when I turned it off the rpm stopped at 1000 and didnt go to 0. the new face was touching the gauge a little and I had to tweak it... plus it was FREEZING COLD outside... like I couldent even believe it.. but the moral of this story is that they are really really nice looking but be prepared to take a really long time to get them in. but they are really nice! WORTH IT
Juddd_83

Post by Juddd_83 »

Is it possible to trim down the rpm guage cover so that the needle doesn't stop at 1000?<p>And also about lubing the speedo cable? Can I use that 3in1 oil for motors?<p>[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Justin_83 ]</p>
Finally a fellow MX-3er!!!!
Euro Tails (Clear Lense)
OEM RS Spoiler
Indiglo Guages
5000V Blue Ground Effects

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”