Any clutch experts out there?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Maddbuck

Any clutch experts out there?

Post by Maddbuck »

I have a couple of questions about my clutch. It smells and what I mean by this is that when I come to a stop at a light this smell comes through the vents or if I get to my destination and get out the car, I can smell the clutch. Does anybody else have this happening or is this common for the 1.8 V6 clutch. I believe it is the clutch because I can smell it immediately after the wheels spin when on snow/ice.<P>Do I have to adjust the clutch maybe ? or is this a sign of another problem that is surfacing, hopefully not. <P>Any theories are welcome :roll:
Mradio

Re: Any clutch experts out there?

Post by Mradio »

man, u need a new clutch :cool:
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
white fish

Post by white fish »

try this put it in 2nd gear bring the rpm up to 4000 (don't rest your foot on the clutch)and put the gas to the floor for a second watch the tack shoot up then let go of the gas does the needle start droping as the car slows or did it drop 200 or more rpm as soon as you let go of the the gas?
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

do you press the clutch and gas at the same time?? this will make the clutch smell naaaaassssssssssty
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

I try not to press both at the same time but I shift really smoothly so it is possible. I can be on the highway for 20 mins with no gear changes and glide into the offramp light in neutral and will smell it after a few mins waiting for the light to change. So I dunno<P>White fish, will try your idea and if that is the case what is your theory?<P>thanx :roll:
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Its toast.<BR>Very common in K series engines/G series trannies with the asbestos free disk. Get a 225mm disk and pressure plate for a MX-6 V6 and be good to go. I like the ACT. Search this forum for ACT for the part numbers.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Redline

Post by Redline »

the MX-6 clutch are only compatable with the 94 and after right? I thought I had read that someplace...
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

I absolutely love my Clutchmaster Stage 2 setup......even though I only have about 15 miles on it.
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

just stay away from Centerforce...i personally had more than 1 bad experience with their products, amd i'm sure other people on this board have as well...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

So it is dying ? So how long do you rate it will hang in there because I need my car till the summer. What is the final symptom that is is due to give up ? Anybody heard anything about the maszdaspeed clutch set? - just curious. If I get a clutchmasters stage 2 will it stand up to the KLze swap or will a stage 3 be better. Where is a good place to get one?<BR>any other suggestions welcome. :roll:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”