K8 tuning [stroker motor]

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
David Coleman

K8 tuning [stroker motor]

Post by David Coleman »

Hey all,<P>I've just been milling around in my head ideas for K8 tuning, and I figured <BR>I'd bounce my latest one off of you. I'd like to put a KL crank and rods in <BR>a K8. Doing the calculations shows that the K8 stock combustion chamber is <BR>about 33.42cc's, with the swept volume being 307.48cc and the CR being <BR>9.2:1. Swapping to the 74.2mm stroke over the stock K8 stroke of 69.6mm <BR>will bring the swept volume to 327.81cc and the CR 9.8:1. The motor's <BR>displacement with the KL stroke/K8 bore would be 1967cc's. With a 9.8:1 <BR>compression ratio and almost 2 litres of displacement, I'd think that would <BR>be a very torquey motor for street driving with hopefully 120 ft/lbs of <BR>torque at around 5000RPM or so.<P>I don't believe this would be too expensive, as I can get KL bottom end <BR>parts from some probers for dirt cheap after they part out their KL03's when <BR>they swap to ZE's. They can usually get rid of the top end of the motor, <BR>but 90% of them get stuck with the bottom end sitting in their garage. So <BR>demand is low, supply is high. I would wager that the most I would spend <BR>for a KL crank and 6 rods would be $200USD. I'm picking up some old K8 <BR>heads to do a little port and polish work to; mostly line of sight, cleaning <BR>up port work. However, if I were to build up a KL/K8 hybrid, I suspect that <BR>larger ports to offset the small valves would be good for the increased <BR>swept volume. So for under $300USD for the main parts, I could have a nice <BR>torque boost for less than my clutch cost. Of course, I don't know what <BR>bearings and gaskets I'll have to replace.<P>A long time ago I posted about a KL crank/rods in a K8, in my early, <BR>ignorant days of MX-3 tuning Image. If I recall correctly, Vaughn mentioned <BR>that it would be alot of work. Something about grinding the block for <BR>clearance or something. I'm not sure if I want to do that. I just crunched <BR>the numbers this morning; I'll be looking at my shop manual this week and <BR>looking at what parts specifically will need to be replaced, as I've never <BR>even seen a crank in a car. Yet. Currently a KL swap is out of the <BR>question for economic reasons; I'm not going to buy a cheap KL03 for $800 <BR>now when I can wait till I graduate and pick up a ZE or build up an 03. I <BR>suppose in my 20 years I've developed a wee bit of practicality. But not <BR>enough to prevent me from tweaking my K8 powered EC into a strong street <BR>car!<P>So do you guys have any comments or suggestions?<BR><P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><A HREF="http://www.wuname.com/cgi-bin/wuname/wuname.pl" TARGET=_blank><B><I>Wu Name</I></B></A>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Bri94GS

Re: K8 tuning [stroker motor]

Post by Bri94GS »

Sounds like it could work...let me know how it goes....<P>Would it be easier to bore out the engine?? Or is there no room to do this??<P>------------------<BR>~'94 GS
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

Dave, have you considered extrude honing the heads, intake manifold, and the exhaust manifold? If you should look into it, please let me know what the cost is...Manny
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I think extrued honing would be a waste of time, but that's just my opinion. I know a buddy of mine got his lower GT40 done for like $300 a few years back.......not worth it on our cars.<P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><A HREF="http://www.wuname.com/cgi-bin/wuname/wuname.pl" TARGET=_blank><B><I>Wu Name</I></B></A>
David Coleman
DiGiTaL

Post by DiGiTaL »

Especially not worth it for the exhaust manifold. It would be almost useless.
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

The reason that I mentioned the exhaust was that the extrude honing would "clean up" the alignment of ports on the cylinder head thus assuring a straight flow thru from intake thru heads thru exhaust: It was only an idea -thrown about as a 'What If..."---Later...Manny
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

If you want to discuss Extrude honing, post a topic about it. This topic is about K8/KL stroker possibilities.<P>And back on topic: does anyone know the pin diameter for the KL or K8?<P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><A HREF="http://www.wuname.com/cgi-bin/wuname/wuname.pl" TARGET=_blank><B><I>Wu Name</I></B></A>
David Coleman
Stevekowalchuk

Post by Stevekowalchuk »

Hey.....found this old string and im interested........... anyone got more info on this?
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

The K8 valves are too small to make any real power with a KL bottom end. Especially the intake side, which is key. It would probably be cheaper and much easier to pick up a junkyard KLDE from a PGT or MX-6 and drop it in the car, and you'd have more power and torque. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
maldo

Post by maldo »

Just a note on costs for your project. My rebuild for the B6T is costing me a fair bit. Any time you remove the pistons you should replace the rings, the cost for a set of 4 here is $200CDN. You also will have to replace the head gaskets since you will most likely be pushing the pistons/rods out the top, again this cost me $260CDN for the kit. You may as well get a valve job with the heads off, mine is around $160CDN for 3-angle and back cut valves. The costs add up rather quickly. If you need to replace any internal parts, the majority can only be purchased as a set of 6 for your motor. That being said, if it can be done, go for it.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I entirely agree Chris. I've since changes my plans to just getting a KLZE. Cheaper, easier, and more powerful :)
David Coleman
chance

Post by chance »

What is a KLDE?<BR>What years were they used in the MX-6 and the PGT?
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

the main bearing size on the crank is different also. the kl has a larger diameter crank so youd have to grind out the bearing mounts.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”