KL-ZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kwilson

KL-ZE

Post by kwilson »

Hello All, I have a 1.8 Liter, V6 in my MX-3 and thinking of swapping in a 2.5 Liter KL-ZE. <P>Would the distributor, transmission and spark plugs from the 1.8 Liter engine work with the 2.5 liter. <P>Thanks ,<P>Kiwi
SE-Man

Re: KL-ZE

Post by SE-Man »

I was told they did.<P>------------------<BR>Thanks,<BR>Teri<BR>'93 MX-3 SE
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Heya Kiwi!<P>Actually, you *need* to use the 1.8 disty, as the one from the ZE won't work. The 1.8 tranny will bolt right up.<P>I'm using plugs for a 2.5L Probe GT and they are fine. The plugs for the 1.8 will also work I believe, although they probably have a different heat rating.<P>You'll also want to get yourself a VAF from a 2.5L engine. Everything else swaps over to the ZE. Image<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kwilson:<BR><B>Hello All, I have a 1.8 Liter, V6 in my MX-3 and thinking of swapping in a 2.5 Liter KL-ZE. <P>Would the distributor, transmission and spark plugs from the 1.8 Liter engine work with the 2.5 liter. <P>Thanks ,<P>Kiwi</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><P>------------------<BR>Hank<BR>'92 GSR<BR>2.5L KL-ZE
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

Get new spark plugs. You should change stuff like that when putting a new engine in. Along with belts and water pump.<P>------------------<BR>Mazda Powered 93SonicProbeGT<BR>AIM:Benkrys
~SonicRacing~
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

What about the ECU?<P>------------------<BR>Thanks,<BR>Teri<BR>'93 MX-3 SE<BR>http://www.geocities.com/warmachinex0/MX-3GSSE.html
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

The 2.5 will run just fine with the 1.8 ECU, however, I have a Probe ECU ordered that I'm going to swap in. I'd like to see if it will make much of a difference at all. I would think it will, since currently I'm using a 2.5L VAF with the 1.8 ECU. We'll see.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SE-Man:<BR><B>What about the ECU?<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><P>------------------<BR>Hank<BR>'92 GSR<BR>2.5L KL-ZE
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

What does VAF stand for?
white fish

Post by white fish »

volume air flow (meter)<P>------------------<BR>Clear White 2.5L GSR
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Actually, I believe it's "Vane Air Flow" <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by white fish:<BR><B>volume air flow (meter)<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><P>------------------<BR>Hank<BR>'92 GSR<BR>2.5L KL-ZE
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

Custom mx-3

Post by Custom mx-3 »

Wat kind of engine can I find a VAF off of, out of wat kind of car.
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Well, your MX-3 has a VAF, but if you're asking which car you can find one from a 2.5L engine, you can get them from a Probe GT, MX-6 V6, 626 V6 etc...<P>J-Spec VAFs are difficult to source.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custom mx-3:<BR><B> Wat kind of engine can I find a VAF off of, out of wat kind of car.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><P>------------------<BR>Hank<BR>'92 GSR<BR>2.5L KL-ZE
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

Custom mx-3

Post by Custom mx-3 »

<BR> Well I have a KL-ZE that I can get at any time so I was wondering what kind of VAF I would need to run that engine and where I could find one.
SmokyMcGee

Post by SmokyMcGee »

will any year 2.5 probe VAF work for the KL-ZE swap?
eD
92 KL-ZE V6 FX-Designs kit
Sparkle Blue
http://smokymcgee.5u.com/index.html

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”