Very odd problem...

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Aaron MacDougall

Very odd problem...

Post by Aaron MacDougall »

This is something that just started happening to me over the last few months...doesn't really depend on the outside temp, wether or no i warm the car up it is purely random and only happends a few times every few weeks...but it is enough to get very annoying. For instance if i get up in the morning and let is idle enough to get up to a decent operating temp and pull away, as soon as i tap my breaks or turn the heat up all lights on my dash, my head unit and my lights will blink for a fraction of a second...and this will happen until I reach my destination. After i get to wherever i am going i open my door to get out and the dome light will go on...when my passenger opens their door the dome light will go out (also works the other wat around). When they close their door and i try to arm my alarm not a thing happens. The i proceed to open my door and the dome light does not turn on, stick my key in and turn it and not a damn thing happens. If i then slam my door my alarm will go off and after i disarm it, it will allow me to start the car or even arm the alarm properly. Sometimes i would even shut my car off and when i open the door to get out the alarm would go off without arming it in the first place. I could do my business then when i am done the car will start fine, drive fine and works perfect for a week or more untill one day this mysteriously happens again. I had my alarm (viper 500hf) replaced and the issue still persists. The dealer then blamed it on sticky door pins so i got that looked after to no avail. For some reason they even went as far as to replace my head unit (kenwood kdc-mpv7019). The dealership where i bought my car said they could find nothing at all. Ever since i bought the car i noticed a large voltage drop when i apply the brakes or even turn on the brights or turn the heat up. When i start my car up in the rain an aful screech comes from the alt belt sometimes and if i rev the engine to 3g it goes away. I was thinking about getting my alt upgraded by a local shop...would that be a wise choice?
Talon_66

Re: Very odd problem...

Post by Talon_66 »

I am no expert, but from reading previous posts it sounds like an alternator problem or something related to that..<p>umm try the search function, u might find something there
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

the electrical probs sound like you've got a bad ground somewhere.. Mine used to do similar things. And I think the squeak just means that you need to tighten your alt belt.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
Aaron MacDougall

Thanks alot, i'll post back in a few days with wether or not i get this cleared up.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Sounds like tour car might need an exorcism! :eek:
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Sounds lke your alternator. If you have a 4cl, they are known to dim your lights when the brakes are pressed. My RS does that with a new alternator. So did my old roomates RS.
Aaron MacDougall

As far as everything shutting off while applying brakes or even turning on my lights seems like me it could be a bad ground perhaps but yesterday when i got into my car and put keys in...didn't turn the car over but turned on my head unit it shut off when I put my foot on the brake then my alarm went nuts as usual...I'll check out my battery tomorrow. I happened to come across a post while performing a search in which a person had a similar issue except his car would totally shut off when he was on the highway...it was suggested back then that it could be a problem with an alarm ground. I could care less about diming lights because it comes with the territory when driving an "economical" car lol. I just hate everything shutting off.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”