This big amp and woofer question

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
AllisMitchChalmers

This big amp and woofer question

Post by AllisMitchChalmers »

I been trying to figure this out for a while now. I wanna know how many watt woofer can i hook up to a 500 watt amp without no troubles. Do you like match the woofer watts with the amp watts? Im just confused and i was too lazy to search it up.
JWMX3

Re: This big amp and woofer question

Post by JWMX3 »

yuo are better off with a subwoofer with a higher RMS power handling than your amp im my opinion.

my friend has a lil puny 150 watt RMS amp and 2 ten inch 750 watt woofers and he gets huge bass
(mind you its a good quality amp)
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Actually its the other way around,for best soundquality it would be good to have like a 250W Sub and a 5ooW amp "like in a good home system"

The stronger amp will have the "Umph" or current if you will to keep the 250Wsub under rockhard control,whereas a little amp on a big sub wont be able to control it as good,reason is a voicecoil induces a voltage back when you try to move the cone and on a big sub the induction of it could overpower the small amp not having as much current to play with,witch gradualy distorts the sound :(

Not saying that a big amp and small subs wont work,and it will play quite good allso..

The other way around is just the way to go when wanting a good system,and its allways cheaper to change a sub than a amp if it should come so far :shrug:
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

if you get an amp that's too powerful for your sub then you run a good risk of blowing the sub (since it's not made to handle that much power) sure it'll work, and probably hit good for a while but you'd have to be careful really. i have two 250w RMS subs running off an amp that gives 200w RMS on two channels and it hits great before that was about the same but one sub.
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Ok.

So an amp puts out MAX power at 400Watts. Take half of that (usually), and that's the RMS power.
If it's a Mono amp and u want to run two subs (so each sub is 2 ohms). Then u probably want two subs each with a max power rating of 400-500watts.
Or if it's a single sub(running at 4ohms) then you just need one sub with 400-500watts.

Pretty simple. Never been disappointed yet.

But been supprised by some combinations though. Say a MTX RT202 (200watts max power), powering two 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs (sealed box). And it just hammered!! The amp is like the size of my hand!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Acamori i tryed to explain,if you doubt what im saying just go ask someone in a GOOD carstereo shop or HI-FI Home equipment store :)

Any good amp and sub will allways have RMS ratings at 4/8 Ohms..

But what the hey almost anything plays good when were talking bass,but theres still systems out there that just sound a little better because of all the little things were taken into consideration when disigning it :shrug:
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you need to figure RMS power off of max power, then you're buying crappy equipment to begin with.
AllisMitchChalmers

Post by AllisMitchChalmers »

So :pimp:
CrazieMX3

Post by CrazieMX3 »

Dont forget to get a receiver that has RCA plugs :laugh:
On a serious note...since you have a 500w amp...i recommend a sub with lesser watt but not the cheap kind that you buy at the flea market. I say...JL audio, Polk MOMO, Rocksford SOLOBARICS, etc.. Like right now..i have a cheap 400w amp powering a 250w JL 10''sub...and it vibrates people's car and settin off alarms(not to be braggin).

<small>[ October 21, 2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: CrazieMX3 ]</small>
-'97 Championshipwhite Civic Coupe (SOLD)
-'93 Red GS V6 CLEAN TITLE! (SOLD)
-'95 Silver Civic Hatchback (NEW BABE)
Pearl-JapSpec

Post by Pearl-JapSpec »

2 12' rf's 1200watt each
on 2 800 watt amps. 250rms or 300 each
no complaints here... or from others listening in 3 blocks away. infinity kapa 5'9's, tweeters, ****ty 6'9's.
excellent sound all in all.
Car Out Of Order For Now...
2 weeks In counting till re-incarnation!!
New G-Force Front Bumper!!
-_-_-_- Pics On Site -_-_-_-
http://members.cardomain.com/mx3_junkee

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”